Removing and/or sealing an old back boiler flue | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Removing and/or sealing an old back boiler flue in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martnal

Hello, we've just had a back boiler removed, and a new combi installed elsewhere. The old boiler was in the kitchen fireplace. We now have a potential cupboard in the kitchen, spoiled by the presence of a 12 inch long, 6 inch diameter aluminium pipe protruding down from the 'roof' of the fire place.

How do I safely remove or cut off the pipe and seal it to avoid soot? I've read about chimney pillows/balloons. Is that what I need? Do I cut the pipe or is there a better way of removing it?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

The company who installed the new boiler did not have to "make good" the area where the old boiler was removed from then?

Ecowarm, thank you. I didn't know what standard of 'making good' to expect. Are you saying that I should have expected the pipe to be removed? I now wonder whether I should have also expected the small hole in a wall (which the new pipes went through) to be filled with cement and plastered over. They did what I think was a good job, the pipes haven't fallen off in the lat 24 hours, and the water is getting heated. I work in IT so I don't know what I should have expected. They expected the job to take Wed/Thurs plus possibly into Friday morning, but they were still here until 1830 Friday evening.

Martin

I think it is clear that from the quotation that they would not fill in holes, etc. - but I will ask about the pipe as they might just come and do something about that.

If not, what options do I have as in mu original question?

Martin

You can cut it with an hacksaw, then board over. i would leave an air vent also, to keep the chimney dry

Depends on a few things. Has the fireplace opening got a register plate fitted i.e. is the piece of pipe, just a short piece protruding into a brick flue through a register plate?
If you move the pipe trying to cut it with a hacksaw it will probably fall out on you.
I must admit its often accompanied with a pile of soot as well.
Anyway it sounds like a rigid pipe or is it corrugated?
One is a flue liner and the other a flue pipe. I imagine if its an oldish house it is most likely to be a flue liner. You can cut it back, but go careful, it's like working with a of razor, the cut metal can be that sharp. I usually found a Stanley knife was better than a hacksaw for cutting flue liners.

Once cut the problem is condensation in the liner and chimney, dropping down onto the sealed register plate. That is why ecowarm suggested venting it. But easy enough to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had the man back. He's removed the smooth (non-corrugated) pipe, just leaving a hole. I could fit a board under the hole, leaving it loose enough for ventilation. I could also slide it out occasionally to remove any fallen soot. Will that allow enough ventialation to avoid damp, or do I need one of the balloons mentioned earlier?

Martin

Thank you. What is the correct sort of vent called? What would I ask for in a DIY shop? Is it a square thing, about 6"x6" with a slider thing to open it?

Martin

Glenno1, won't I have a problem with soot falling through? What is the correct sort of vent called?

mARTIN

A 9 x 3 plastic or aluminium vent will do. Something like this
[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/ventilation-ducting/grills/-size%3E229mm_x_76mm/Manrose-229-x-76mm-Louvred-Vent-With-Fly-Screen-White-11478325"]Manrose 229 x 76mm Louvred Vent With Fly Screen White, 5020953930426[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
Possibly the OP is in a rural area?. One of...
Replies
Views
Back