Removing back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Removing back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rmbp

Hello all, Is it possible to renew gas fire and leave old decommissioned back boiler in situ. Just not sure all advice welcome.

you cannot replace fire with a different type of fire and still use backboilers flue and you certainly wont comply with regs leaving a frigginn great backboiler in the chimney..are you a fitter of homeowner???as it seems a strange question if you are an engineer

are you talking about renewing the fire but it still being part of the back boiler?

Absolutely not,if you have a disused back boiler in place ,it will require removing and the chimney opening made to the requirements,as detailed in the new fires manufacturers instructions,any fire that was adapted would be classed as immediately dangerous and indeed would be !!
The back boiler and fire are officially all one unit,not two separate items,they are tested together, by the manufacturers and have a license issued by the Authorities as a joint unit, one part of the appliance should not be used with out the other.
The only fire front that can fitted to the front of the the back boiler ,is a fire front pacifically made and designed by the manufacturer for that purpose,no other fire front should be fitted or adapted to fit the back boiler unit,this will deem the back boiler immediately dangerous as does the back boiler being operated without a fire front fitted

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
The back boiler unit can be decommissioned and fire front left in place as long as the fire front is one approved by the manufacturers but you should seek guidance from the manufacturers first.

i asked baxi this question a while back and they sent out their standard letter stating that they did not recommend decomisioning a back boiler and continuing to use the fire front. However if you do so then you have to ensure that the flue elements of the boiler remain safe to use and that the fire is tested along with the boiler on an annual basis. Of course if you want to replace the fire, it has to be with one from the original manufacturer designed to match the boiler fitted. As mentioned above if its a totally new fire being fitted then standard practice applies and ot boiler and test flue etc prior to install

The back boiler unit can be decommissioned and fire front left in place as long as the fire front is one approved by the manufacturers but you should seek guidance from the manufacturers first.

This can be done as long as all the back boiler and the fire flues are all intact and back boiler, although decommissioned,is intact and still installed to manufacturers instructions,this would give the same effect as fire working and boiler just turned off in normal use.

I have decommissioned back boilers & left the fires working.As long as its working safely it has never been a problem.

Hello all, Is it possible to renew gas fire and leave old decommissioned back boiler in situ. Just not sure all advice welcome.

technically the answer to your question is yes you can, however i give this advice with caution, as i'm not sure you mean the same as i do, it is possible to renew a fire front to an old back boiler as long as it is the appropriate fire for the boiler, i think you want to fit a "different" fire to an old boiler which is an absolute no-no, so post a bit more info on existing back boiler and intended replacement and we will confirm

technically the answer to your question is yes you can, however i give this advice with caution, as i'm not sure you mean the same as i do, it is possible to renew a fire front to an old back boiler as long as it is the appropriate fire for the boiler, i think you want to fit a "different" fire to an old boiler which is an absolute no-no, so post a bit more info on existing back boiler and intended replacement and we will confirm

your right kirk he is talking about a different fire front which is a no no

Could be done with the baxis with original replacment fire front but all burner and gas valve to be removed as as primarys disconnected but if i remember right heat x had to be drilled.

Defo better to get rid of the lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
If i turn the temperature dial right down on...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Back