Removing oil | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter smhstu
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 958

Discuss Removing oil in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smhstu

Hi all
I'm removing a oil boiler and was going to shut off at the tank.
What would you say is the best way to remove the oil still in the supply line?
Would the boiler drag this through if I was to fire it up ?
Or would you use wet and dry vac?

Thanks all

Not necessarily the best, but pipe pointing into a container then undo it at the oil tank (after the shut off, naturally!) then it should flow into your container. Blowing down the pipe will remove the rest - tastes a bit funny but as long as you spit and don't swallow ... hmmm ... tmi ...

Are you removing the boiler and putting a different fueled boiler in its place?

if the boiler still works why are you replacing ?? either way if upgrading, or whatever, yes if it still runs, shut off at tank then leave running, length of oil line will determine how long it will run for, alternatively, are you replacing the oil line ??? if not no real need to drain it. is there a (should be) a fire valve at entry of the property, you could shut it off here, Or maybe an inline isolator sometimes in the prerty. lots of different methods. But if its only a quick boiler change, usually shutting off at tank, will mean no gravity force to push oil through line, so small tub, under end of line while you replace should be sufficient,

The boiler works fine but the customers have had gas installed into the property, which is empty while a load of work is being done, so they want a gas boiler fitted.

dont forget to cap off close to tank to prevent spillage of contents.

If you're anywhere near me I'll come and empty your oil out of your tank for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
So getting back to my original question, do...
Replies
Views
L
With no pressure gauge or flue gas analyser...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
Back