Removing Primatic Cylinder & Installing an Indirect | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Removing Primatic Cylinder & Installing an Indirect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brizy3001

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but would welcome some sound advise if possible.
My system is an old 1 pipe gravity fed hot water primatic cylinder with a pumped heating system.

I'm looking to update it to a c-plan system, with control of a two way valve to block the gravity flow through the hot water side; when temperature of the water is at a preset level.

Answers to a couple of questions would be helpful.

1. I'm a little unclear regarding indirect cylinders etc & think i require an expansion tank in the loft to accommodate this setup. Is this correct? or do i go for a fully sealed system?

NB: a fully pumped y-plan would possibly be better, but just awkward to impliment the way the pipe runs are etc & with piping within the concrete floors & walls.

2. Which side of the gravity feed should the valve be on?

3. Are there any other possibilities with this setup?

Many thanks
Brian

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but would welcome some sound advise if possible.
My system is an old 1 pipe gravity fed hot water primatic cylinder with a pumped heating system.

I'm looking to update it to a c-plan system, with control of a two way valve to block the gravity flow through the hot water side; when temperature of the water is at a preset level.

Answers to a couple of questions would be helpful.

1. I'm a little unclear regarding indirect cylinders etc & think i require an expansion tank in the loft to accommodate this setup. Is this correct? or do i go for a fully sealed system?

NB: a fully pumped y-plan would possibly be better, but just awkward to impliment the way the pipe runs are etc & with piping within the concrete floors & walls.

2. Which side of the gravity feed should the valve be on?

3. Are there any other possibilities with this setup?

Many thanks
Brian

IMOP your wasting your time:), you cant polish sh7t,....... but if you must:).

1. yes you will need a seperate exp tank and then a new water tank while your at it, alot of older boilers require a prv type piece of equipment supplied by the manufacturer to run fully pressurised. Also your one pipe system with pipes under concrete will probably not take the extra pressure.

2. Id have it on the return personaly, as long as its after the feed and expansion connections from the new exp tank.

3. Hmmmmm, rip it out!, but if its still working Id just leave it.

You don't need to change the primatic cylinder to an indirect when changing the stsyem to a C plan but if you do you will need an F&E tank and a couple of pipes run from the cylinder to the F&E.

If your system is old enough to be a one pipe and the hot water is gravity fed you will 99% sure not be able to use your existing boiler on a sealed system. Even if it could be used, you would need to change the system to a Y or S plan. Gravity systems are not designed to be sealed.

Do a bit more research on (honeywell) C plans to find the answers to the last 2 questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Question
I cannot see the photo's but from your...
Replies
Views
Yeah, I did read this but I’ve inherited the...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Well, I'm thinking if your HOT OUT goes in a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Tbh it’s a must for horizontal cylinders as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would suspect that there is insufficient...
Replies
Views
Back