Removing rusty screw from toilet pan. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Removing rusty screw from toilet pan. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimmy

Hello, our downstairs toilet has come loose (Concrete floor). I have tried to tighten the screws but they are very badly corroded and I can't tighten them. I would like to take them out and replace them but I can't get purchase with a screw driver. Does anyone have any methods I could use please as I am frightened of cracking the porcelain. Many thanks.

Jim.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a slotted screw head I often take a screwdriver with a blade a little thicker and tap it in with a hammer to get good purchase. I sometimes clip a molegrip on the screw driver to make it easier to turn without loosing the pressure needed to keep the screwdriver head in the slot. I also tend to try and tighten it very slightly to get initial movement.

if the old screws have a rubber or plastic washer between the head of the screw and the pan (most do) use a thin blade screwdriver to split this and force it from its position. what you are now left with is a screw that is slightly raised. get a pair of grips or pliers and twist the screw loose. repeat on other side....job done!

KJ

You could also try one of these

Screw Extractor Set - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Unscrew with long nosed pliers to start then normal pliers to finish extracting it? I also use a hammer as described above. WD40 might help too.

If the head is damaged and you have a Dremel with mounted points, grind the head off the screw in situ and lift the pan off the screws.

Replace with brass or stainless screws like it should have had to start with.

gently 'wack' them with a hammer. The pan splits and you can easily remove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks. I’ve tried gently prising up the one...
Replies
Views
Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
Thank you snowhead! After 2 days of 'these...
Replies
Views
Hve you tried pulling the large chrome part...
Replies
Views
F
Thanks for your reply. I don't think so. I...
Replies
Views
Funkymunkey27
F
Back