Renewing central heating system | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Renewing central heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bvrb89

Hi, new to the forum.

im looking at buying a house in Lincolnshire, which needs a new boiler. The whole system is old and the radiators are not in the right places. I.e on inside walls not under the Windows. Before I put an offer in on the house I could do with a rough idea of how much it will cost me to do properly. It needs a new oil fired combi boiler and oil tank, 9 new radiators and new piping which is like as hidden as possible. There would be nothing in the house and it needs new carpets etc so I'm not worried about them being pulled up to get to the floorboards. It has a hot water cylinder in it which I would want to get rid off too.

and if anyone knows, what would the rough cost be of an air source heat pump system instead of oil.

thanks, Ben.

Think of an unvented hot cylinder together with an oil boiler. Combi oil boilers are trouble, expensive and will not have the flow rates the unvented unit provides if you have good mains supply.

Before opting for combi. ensure that water pressure and flow is adequate. Air sourced heat pump will require under floor heating and good thermal insulation of the building to keep running costs competitive. A ball park figure for combi, oil tank and rads would be 5K-8K depending on complexity. Builders place rads under windows to leave options for furniture arrangement. More thermally efficient is rads on internal wall, allowing ceiling to floor heavy drapes on windows.

Thanks for the replies. The reasons I was thinking combi boiler was because I have had a boiler with a hwc in a house before and found that I used a lot of oil, where as where I am now it is a combi boiler and I don't find it using as much oil. The house I am now in is much older than the previous propert and was built in 1870 ish.

As as for the house I'm thinking about buying, the heating system is from possibly the 60's and I don't know how longtime boiler t hasn't been working for. Do you think it is advisable to completely redo or should I just think about a new boiler and oil tank?

Rough price your looking at anywhere from 9-11k ball park for either system

And redo as no ones living there atm don't want to be changing things/opening floor boards when your in

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Thermal store fits the bill but don’t forget...
Replies
Views
R
I need advice on flushing out my central...
Replies
Views
Robin Overall
R
T
Get an acv cylinder. Great for boiler and work...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Back