Replace bath taps with a bath/shower mixer tap but think my taps are the wrong way ro | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replace bath taps with a bath/shower mixer tap but think my taps are the wrong way ro in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

K

kates2787

Hi,
I recently had an electric shower put in above my bath which works okay but the low water pressure is driving me mad. I have long hair and have resorted to washing the shampoo out under the bath taps! As I have just paid for the electric shower I don't want to spend much more money so I've been looking into getting new bath taps with a shower mixer. Ideally I'd like a thermostatic mixer as there are 3 of us in the house so taps are on and off and toilets flush a fair bit, especially when we're all getting ready in the morning.
I was looking at my options but noticed that all of the taps seem to have the hot tap on the left and cold on the right. However in my bath (sitting in the bath, looking at the taps face on) the cold is on the left and hot on the right. I believe this would affect the thermostatic control? Can you get thermostatic taps that would suit my bath or are mine just really irregular?
I'm just a low level DIY-er and think I could replace taps okay but not so sure about changing hot/cold feeds?! I'm in a 7 year old modern flat on the top floor and have a combi boiler if that helps at all.
Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
Katie

Re: Replace bath taps with a bath/shower mixer tap but think my taps are the wrong wa

Why did you fit an electric shower if you have a combi?

Swap supplies under bath.

Upvote 0
Re: Replace bath taps with a bath/shower mixer tap but think my taps are the wrong wa

Hello Kate,

Just simply swap those pipe up underneath the bath then you will left hot and right cold as it should be.

Good shoot simonG, why have you got a combination boiler and electric shower doesn't make a sent to me. You would have much more pressure if you had a normal bath mixer connect to your combo system.

Upvote 0

If your pipes are the wrong way round under the bath this wouldn't be too much trouble for a plumber to fix and fit a mixer tap with shower outlet,

If you electric shower however isn't working correctly due to insufficient pressure and or flow then you should call the installer back as this should of been looked at prior to fitting

Upvote 0

If your pipes are the wrong way round under the bath this wouldn't be too much trouble for a plumber to fix and fit a mixer tap with shower outlet,

If you electric shower however isn't working correctly due to insufficient pressure and or flow then you should call the installer back as this should of been looked at prior to fitting

yea but if theres not much flow a combi shouldnt have been fitted ;)

Upvote 0

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I was given the electric shower as it wasn't necessary in my grandparents refurb so I just used that to try save some money. I didn't really know better until I started looking into the thermostatic bath/shower mixer this week, regretting the electric shower now! I'm not sure if there is a fault with the shower or if I'm just used to more powerful ones, I've never had an electric shower before. Would you recommend getting a thermostatic mixer over a regular one? Also would the pipe swap and mixer tap install be possible to do myself or will it require a professional? It seems fairly straight forward looking at the guides online but I don't have any plumbing tools, et. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Always worth going for a thermostatic instead of just a straight mixer valve and yes it would be possible to do yourself depending on your skill set

Upvote 0

There are things to consider when choosing a thermostatic mixer tap. With a conventional mixer tap, you mix the temperature via hot and cold taps and that's the end of it. With a thermostatic mixer tap you have a cartridge do it for you which over time will need replacing every now and then so there's extra cost involved. Sometimes the manufacturer of cheaper thermostatic taps stop making/selling the cartridges and your left with having to replace the tap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you so much for all of your help and advice, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

T
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
You are confusing pressure and flow. Your...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
I am redoing my bathroom and not sure what the...
Replies
Views
Thermostatic shower
T
  • Question
I know they require the ibox installation...
Replies
Views
Back