Replace central heating gate valve with 2-port valve | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replace central heating gate valve with 2-port valve in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

My house has a separate central heating loop that heats an annex. The annex loop has 3 x radiators (all with TRV), pump (manually switched) and a gate valve. The gate valve is very awkwardly sited, and difficult to operate, so I am wondering whether it is a good idea to replace this with 2-port zoning valve that is controlled by the pump switch. So pump off = port vv shut, and pump on = port vv open.

Any thoughts gratefully received

Can you turn just the annex 3 rads on eg they heat up or do you have to turn the main heating on aswell ?

A zone valve won't last forever so you'll be swapping a hard-to-operate gate valve for a hard-to-replace zone valve.

Would replacing the gate valve with a good-quality full-bore lever operated ball-valve be a solution? Lever valves are typically much easier to operate at arms length than gate valves.

Can you turn just the annex 3 rads on eg they heat up or do you have to turn the main heating on aswell ?
The main heating must be on for the annex heating to work, though with the gate valve fully open, there is some circulation in the annex with the main house pump running and the annex pump off.

A zone valve won't last forever so you'll be swapping a hard-to-operate gate valve for a hard-to-replace zone valve.

Would replacing the gate valve with a good-quality full-bore lever operated ball-valve be a solution? Lever valves are typically much easier to operate at arms length than gate valves.

A lever valve would still need panelling to be removed, though I agree it is easier to operate than a gate valve. Once the panelling is removed then access is easy. I just want something the wife can do without having to remove panelling and though maybe a 2-port valve would do the trick. And it has to look "pretty" if you know what I mean ;)

The main heating must be on for the annex heating to work, though with the gate valve fully open, there is some circulation in the annex with the main house pump running and the annex pump off.

So why not leave the valve open and leave the pump off ?

That would heat the annex every time the main house heating was on

Shouldn’t do as no need for the extra pump then and just shut the trvs / frost setting etc

Shouldn’t do as no need for the extra pump then and just shut the trvs / frost setting etc
I see what you mean, but the main house pump isn’t man enough by itself to get a good flow of heat into the annex. Perhaps, I could experiment with the annex lock shield valves, and main pump settings? But, I really wonder if pumping hot water along a 35m loop, with 12m underground to building that is mostly unoccupied, is the most economical use of heating oil.

I see what you mean, but the main house pump isn’t man enough by itself to get a good flow of heat into the annex. Perhaps, I could experiment with the annex lock shield valves, and main pump settings? But, I really wonder if pumping hot water along a 35m loop, with 12m underground to building that is mostly unoccupied, is the most economical use of heating oil.

Yes basically open the valve and see if it heats etc

But if the trvs / lockshield valves are off you won’t have any heat going up that leg unless the pipes are joined at the end

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice and fit a Pegler full bore ball valve. Simple and effective. 😎

Attachments

• IMG_5692.jpeg
    IMG_5692.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102

Similar plumbing topics

Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Air locked air is a pain sometimes just need...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
Back