Replace SE duct boiler- | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replace SE duct boiler- in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Ted808

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've been asked to price up for replacing an old Halstead F50 system boiler and unvented cylinder. I'm sure it will be a pandora's box. Have yet to take a look but any advice welcome, pionters to look for and suitable replacements. I've seen Vokera do a suitable but not keen. Will do more research if I have time. Cheers

I've been asked to price up for replacing an old Halstead F50 system boiler and unvented cylinder. I'm sure it will be a pandora's box. Have yet to take a look but any advice welcome, pionters to look for and suitable replacements. I've seen Vokera do a suitable but not keen. Will do more research if I have time. Cheers

Would love to help. But I have never seen an actual SE duct. Or a U duct.
After nearly 45 years in the game, I was beginning to think they were a myth :)

I’m not 100% but I might of read something a while ago you can’t fit any new boilers to se or u ducts

Gas safe would be the best to ask

This is all covered on the ACS, but I must admit that I just go through the motions as I am never likely to deal with them. But do I recall correctly that you cannot use power flues on a SE or a U duct. Or one of them. ?

The turbulence would upset the principle of operation?

I've only ever seen 1 a lad condemned the boiler and then I got sent in. As firemant said when it comes to it i just glaze over as I didnt think there was any round me. It was a case of scratching around in the van for my book and phoning gas safe as this was before mobiles with internet.

As the boilers were being replaced though they were being moved to external walls.

Thanks, the general guidance seems to be that they shouldn't be replaced unless you can inspect the whole of the flue- maybe in the future by a drone as in person it would be impossible. :oops: This is based on the new flue in ducts/voids reg's. The other point I found is that condensing flue gases are not as hot as regular boilers. That also affects the performance of the flue as a whole. Basically, I'm going to recommend an electric boiler for heating the existing rads and continue with the immersion cylinder for hot water. What do you think? DO I now need special power supply and an electrician?

Depends on the load / appliances

Thanks, the general guidance seems to be that they shouldn't be replaced unless you can inspect the whole of the flue- maybe in the future by a drone as in person it would be impossible. :oops: This is based on the new flue in ducts/voids reg's.

Do you mean the appliance flue, or the SE duct?

Anyway, there are 2 things:

“A condensing appliance shall not be fitted on a shunt-duct, SE-duct or U-duct system” [IGEM UP-17, Clause 6.1.4]

and

I am not entirely sure about when this comes into force, but there is/will be a ban on new or replacement boilers currently available fitted in buildings which have a total height of 18 metres. To do with the flue being plastic.
Although this may only apply to student housing and hospitals.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
It's not easy, house is also a HMO so makes...
Replies
Views
S
OK then, good luck with it 👍👍
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Back