Replace tap washer! | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replace tap washer! in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I've done this on so many taps without problem but...

I just can't seem to see how to get at the guts of this John Sydney tap. It's easy enough to remove the ceramic top and the screw holding the spindle in. But the cover should just prise off, surely? It looks like it might screw off but that's just for decoration - it keeps rotating in both directions. I've tried 'prising' as hard as possible but nothing moves. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Tap.jpg
    Tap.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 37
I'm afraid not! I thought the top nut might be a lock nut but i'm pretty certain it's all just one decorative cover. In whch case, it should prise off. But you can only give it so much peruasion before something breaks! So I though I'd check and see if anyone has experience with these particular taps.

I'm afraid not! I thought the top nut might be a lock nut but i'm pretty certain it's all just one decorative cover. In whch case, it should prise off. But you can only give it so much peruasion before something breaks! So I though I'd check and see if anyone has experience with these particular taps.
I had a kitchen tap with a similar decorative cover, where the stuffing nut did undo, lifted off, and then made the cover easier to lift off. I just thought the random position of the faces of the gland nut in relation to the cover nut implied it might be a separate part. It would be more costly to make a decorative cap like that (assuming it's metal!). But if you've already tried, Sorry 🤔 !

update - I'm wrong - just found this old posting below from another forum!
"It's held on with an O ring" which has probably hardened and is welded to the cartridge. You'll just have to exert more force to lever it upwards!!

I know this discussion is old but not resolved and I've just had the same problem. Here's the solution. The John Sydney tap looks like a conventional one but is not made like one. Twist your neck to look under the handle. There is a small hole about 2mm wide. Push something up through to pop off the ceramic bit. It's only secured by an O ring? Now you can see the long screw which holds the handle (and shaft). You can probably work the rest out from here. Remove handle then prise the cover. It's not held on by screw thread but by an O ring. The fake gland nut is molded to the cover.
Now you have an almost normal mechanism to take off with a spanner.

Read more: Problem Tap - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/problem-tap.185392/#ixzz7Azx4rI2X

Last edited:
1. If you have removed the spindle by undoing the big hexagonal nut from the body of the tap, then that nut will spin on the tap spindle.
2. If this what you have done, then the washer should be visible underneath the shroud, at the end of the head works which are attached to the spindle.
3. If you separate the gland nut (small hexagon) from the shroud nut (large hexagon) by unscrewing it while holding the large hexagon, you may have better access to the end of the head works and the washer.
4. The normal method of dismantling a tap like this is (although not all steps necessary depending on what you are attempting):
4a. Remove ceramic index.
4b. Undo screw holding cross head handle to spindle and remove handle from spindle.
4c. Unscrew gland nut and remove from spindle.
4d. Unscrew shroud and remove from spindle.
4e. Unscrew head works from body of tap.
5. A photograph of what you have after removing "the screw holding the spindle in" might help.

Dear 'steadyon', Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I've already tried step '2'. The 2 nuts don't appear to separate - and I've applied quite some force! Which is why I'm convinced it's a single moulding. Are there any other taps like this?

Dear 'steadyon', Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Unfortunately I've already tried step '2'. The 2 nuts don't appear to separate - and I've applied quite some force! Which is why I'm convinced it's a single moulding. Are there any other taps like this?
Richard - See post #6 above - my quote from diynot, their post #10 😀
I know you have already done much of what is described, but the last but one sentence is the key to it.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don’t know the brand of tap, but one would...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a 3/4" rad system i'm working on. Was...
Replies
Views
Daley power
D
  • Question
Thanks Knappers. Yes, good point - definitely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
What about just replacing the ceramic discs...
Replies
Views
Back