Replaced basin waste - unable to connect to waste pipe | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replaced basin waste - unable to connect to waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

I've never done any plumbing, so please forgive my ignorance. I've had to replace the waste on the basin in my downstairs loo. The new waste (the bit that goes into the sink) is shorter than the previous one (by about 10mm), so now it doesn't line up with the waste pipe.

I've attached a photo. What are my options here?

basin-waste.jpg

Hi

I've never done any plumbing, so please forgive my ignorance. I've had to replace the waste on the basin in my downstairs loo. The new waste (the bit that goes into the sink) is shorter than the previous one (by about 10mm), so now it doesn't line up with the waste pipe.

I've attached a photo. What are my options here?

View attachment 36092

Is that white bottle trap not telescopic? If not you can buy one from screwfix or wherever.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-adjustable-inlet-bottle-trap-white-32mm/36251

Thanks guys, appreciate the help and quick responses. One last question, the adjustable one looks a bit "longer", will it not be too long (even when set at its shortest setting) compared to the one I currently have, in other words longer than the 10mm extra that I need?

will go down to 2 nut height might need the adjustable part trimming down a bit but will do tight

Thanks guys, appreciate the help and quick responses. One last question, the adjustable one looks a bit "longer", will it not be too long (even when set at its shortest setting) compared to the one I currently have, in other words longer than the 10mm extra that I need?

Goes shorter than on picture.

Great, I'll go and get one tomorrow.

Btw, what is the benefit in using a bottle trap as opposed to something like this:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-adjustable-inlet-tubular-p-trap-white-32mm/89677

Last edited:
They do the same thing. P traps are usually used in kitchens they block less easily esp grease and food waste. The bottle trap is used in hand wash basins as they can be unscrewed to get valuables out e.g. jewellery. Bottle trap takes up less space.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I still use putty. Damn silicone.
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As it's rented you'd be better off contacting...
Replies
Views
Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
Back