Replacement boiler query - please help. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacement boiler query - please help. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dwnif1

I currently have a need to replace my existing boiler (being about 20 years old and not very efficient). I'm looking to replace the existing with a condensing heat only boiler and I've had a few quotes from local plumbers.

My query is, some are saying that the existing 15mm gas feed pipe will need to be replaced with 22mm feed pipe, while some are saying that there are boilers on the market that will run quite happily on a 15mm gas feed pipe.

After some research and advice, apparently there are boilers that will feed from a 15mm gas feed pipe (Ideal ICOS HE being one), but I need to find a boiler that will run happily from a 15mm gas feed over a distance of about 16 metres from the gas meter.

Your help would be most welcome..

Thanks

DW.

if its a combi will defo need 22mm pipe or larger if its a system or regular boiler could maybe get away with 15mm the icos is a regular boiler i think but it all comes down to getting the gas preesure correct. if you cant get it on 15mm pipe the it will need to be upgraded.

So, basically I need to get a pressure check on the 15mm gas pipe, at location of the boiler installation. Anyone else got any ideas?

I'm not a gas safe registered engineer....but surely this is a volume issue and not a pressure issue? The boiler manufacturer's instructions will detail the requirements I would have thought, so it would come down to the specific model your guys are quoting for.

I'm not a gas safe registered engineer....but surely this is a volume issue and not a pressure issue? The boiler manufacturer's instructions will detail the requirements I would have thought, so it would come down to the specific model your guys are quoting for.

Let me have a sqeeze here - pressure and volume are inversly proportional to each other . Ie if one goes up the other goes down or vice versa hence its a matter of both volume and pressure - not enough volume to sustain pressure or not enough pressure to sustain volume - simples

16m on 15mm does seem a little ambitous

you should have 21 mb at the boiler standing pressure and near enough to that with the boiler on and other appliances some manufacturers allow it be as low as 15 mb when in operation

all new boilers in this instance i know of termiate at 15mm connections.
the problem is getting the g.f. rate to the boiler hense 22mm.
is it an issue that you dont or cant justify spending the donga on having it changed?.
you will find that 9/10 engineers will want to install the 22mm or even 28mm to install the new boiler to code.

I currently have a need to replace my existing boiler (being about 20 years old and not very efficient). I'm looking to replace the existing with a condensing heat only boiler and I've had a few quotes from local plumbers.

My query is, some are saying that the existing 15mm gas feed pipe will need to be replaced with 22mm feed pipe, while some are saying that there are boilers on the market that will run quite happily on a 15mm gas feed pipe.

After some research and advice, apparently there are boilers that will feed from a 15mm gas feed pipe (Ideal ICOS HE being one), but I need to find a boiler that will run happily from a 15mm gas feed over a distance of about 16 metres from the gas meter.

Your help would be most welcome..

Thanks

DW.
you dont want to many bends in that 16m run or youll need 28mm pipe definatly if theres anything else running of the same pipe like the cooker?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
The boiler is just responding by limiting the...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
Back