Replacement boiler quote seems excessive - is it? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacement boiler quote seems excessive - is it? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just had a quote to replace a boiler and some parts of it make no sense at all, I wonder if anyone can offer advice. Basically the items and charges are as follows:
Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250

Location is North London. House is two stories & loft conversion with five bedrooms, bathroom, shower room, one very large reception room, large kitchen/dining room and 17 radiators in total.

Very many thanks for any advice.

I have just had a quote to replace a boiler and some parts of it make no sense at all, I wonder if anyone can offer advice. Basically the items and charges are as follows:
Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250

Location is North London. House is two stories & loft conversion with five bedrooms, bathroom, shower room, one very large reception room, large kitchen/dining room and 17 radiators in total.

Very many thanks for any advice.

was that British gas by any chance?

I'd say it's steep! Shop around and get local tradesman to quote for you. Go on the gas safe website and look for local installers.

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Many thanks for the replies. It was British Gas and the quote does include VAT.

Having had a recent nightmare with an independent who did a fair amount of work refurbishing a bathroom (long story, some other time perhaps) I am somewhat reluctant to use an installer about whom I know nothing and against whom I have no realistic comeback.

All of the installation work seems outrageously expensive - e.g. Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below at £120, Install standard flue with black plume kit (£80?) at £320 let alone nearly £1,600 for what is unlikely to be more than a maximum of one days work for two people.

• My current boiler is plugged into a 13 Amp socket - do I really need a switched FCU? What legislation covers this?
  • Do I really need a "Powerflush and system water treatment" at £570? I have got by perfectly well on rust inhibitor for years.
  • Is the "MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter" at £250 just some hocus pocus?

also depending on size boiler sounds on the small size

also depending on size boiler sounds on the small size
I can't comment on that other than to say that the guy who came around spent quite some time measuring up the sizes of the rooms and quizzing me about cavity walls, double glazing, etc.

In fairness, most of the radiators in the house are usually set to the frost setting because many of the rooms are unused -and- we are happy to wear sweaters if we get cold ;)

I do realise that anyone else who eventually bought the house might like to walk around semi-nude in a sauna!

funny but BG prices round here have become competitive recently

Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070 (good price)
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585 (bit high)
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320 (way to high)
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120 (way to high should be around £50-60)
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195 (way to high £30-£40)
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570 (if they do a days work thats not bad)
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250 (good price)

what about pump motorized valves non of them getting change?

Is there not an installer on here near north London who could provide a quote?

Stan would be on it like a bunny on heat but sadly haven`t seen him post for an age. There are others around that area but I`m getting the feeling that the OP has been "Let down" by an indie before and believes in the BG hype. Saying that he could do well to try and understand the behind the scene costs involved in running a business.

Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070 (good price)
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585 (bit high)
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320 (way to high)
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120 (way to high should be around £50-60)
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195 (way to high £30-£40)
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570 (if they do a days work thats not bad)
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250 (good price)

what about pump motorized valves non of them getting change?

£30-£40 maybe if just replacing socket for a spur but could need bonding to gas and water etc

No mention of the pump or the motorised valves - would replacing them at the same time make sense?

do you know how old they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

F
maybe because its a little slow within this...
Replies
Views
As their elderly what about unvented cylinder...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
L
the power flush depends on the state of your...
Replies
Views
Back