Replacement gas/electric fire for a baxi back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacement gas/electric fire for a baxi back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

southerngrumpy

I have a Baxi back boiler which incorporates a Baxi Bermuda Gas fire.
The gas fire is faulty but Baxi no longer make a replacement and suggest that I replace the back boiler and incorporate a Valor electric fire.
The total cost of replacement including flue and labour is estimated at around 4k.
As the boiler is working OK it seems a big step to take just to replace the fire.
I am advised by Baxi that I cannot remove the gas fire as this is an integral part of the back boiler.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

what is wrong with the fire? could parts not be obtained?

Or get some prices to have a new boiler (not back boiler) fitted somewhere else, airing cupboard is a likely option.
then fit any electric fire you like, or get prices for a new gas fire. It will all depend on the ease of fitting etc, but should work out cheaper.

hi Simon,
thanks for the reply.
I had a new gas tap fitted to the fire last year but that didnt last long,gone wrong again so im a bit relutant to spend another £250 on repairing it again and it also looks a bit outdated now.
I was contemplating having a new boiler fitted in the utility room but wouldnt know which kind of boiler i would need.
I recently had a new shower cubicle installed and the power shower is fed from the cylinder via a Monsoon pump to the shower unit. Would a wall boiler be able to give the same power as we have at present.?
Many thanks for your info.

you can't have a combi with a power shower, so either a wall mounted o/v boiler or an system boiler. Advantage of the o/v boiler less to change but tanks in roof hence power shower needed. Advantage of sytem poiler, loose f and e tank in roof, rads work better and should last longer. Best to ask for quotes and advice fm local plumbers.

Dont go to bg as i had to fit an electric shower last week after bg come in and fitted a combi where both bathrooms were already pumped and they just left the shower mixer outlets capped off, took all the brass fittings away though!! Better would have been to have fitted a system boiler and enlarge the cylinder, after all a family of six lived in the house, all girls for kids!!!!! And they thought they had saved on my estimate for changing the boiler 18 months ago, which included a new cylinder and boiler and not just a combi install, still bg are the best salesmen out there, after all they always leave customers with exactly what they need !

get a heat only boiler fitted with upgraded controls and thermostatic rad valves and then either a new gas fire with fire surround or brick it up and stick your tv on the wall.

welcome to the forum.

TV on the wall eh.
Should I get one of those 'Living Flames' CD's or the 'Flaming Logs' ?

AWheating
Thanks for the post.....You say I should get a 'heat only boiler', could you briefly explain what this is,where it would be best situated,do I keep my cylinder and would i have to adapt my power shower ( shower fed from cylinder at present via Monsoon pump). ? Approximate cost of boiler + labour would be appreciated.
Thanks.

a heat only boiler is a traditional boiler that heats the radiators and a cylinder of hot water,
so there would be no changes to what you have apart from the new boiler being in a different position

just an after thought, it depends on what controls/valves you currently have. possibly would need upgrading. whoever gives you a quote would be able to give the most applicable advice

Last edited:
AWheating
Thanks for the post.....You say I should get a 'heat only boiler', could you briefly explain what this is,where it would be best situated,do I keep my cylinder and would i have to adapt my power shower ( shower fed from cylinder at present via Monsoon pump). ? Approximate cost of boiler + labour would be appreciated.
Thanks.

same sort of set up as your back boiler but wall boiler mounted in a suitable position, This would need to be discussed/chosen by your gas safe engineer. As for price cant answer that without seeing the job really. Get 3 to 4 quotes from local enigneers.

You could consider the new HE baxi back boiler this comes with electric fire, you would have to replace the flue liner for the new type for this boiler, price of 4k seems rather high , get some prices from local GSR, remember to add the cost of a replacement fire if you relocate your boiler, some of these can be quite expensive, also have you space to relocate new boiler takeing into account the position of the new flue.

Thanks jtsplumbing......I have considered the replacement boiler from Baxi, they say its just a sraight swap but would require a new flue liner....would this involve scaffolding?
If I decided on a heat only boiler,what kind of flue/outlet would be needed?
Thanks

that would depend on location, how close to next door, opening windows ect, have a look on some boiler web sites , will give you positions of flue for new boiler , size about 100mm round, dont for get pipe work will need re-running, gas pipe and condense also power supply, as for scaffold that will depend how high roof is and who is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Pipework is probably 28mm which might be a...
Replies
Views
How to light a pilot light! Press in the grey...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back