Replacement Gas fire | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacement Gas fire in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldieone

I have just had removed a Valor Homeflame from my lounge. This was fitted into a hole 35w x 64h x42D Internally this opened to 32d x 67w and then went up the chimney which is 9 sweeps rods tall . I would like to replace it with the most efficient Gas flue fire and hope you can advise me on this as at 73 I have no idea. The Valor was never used as when switched on one got fumes which one couldn’t see but could smell in the lounge. Valor checked the fire and said it was fine and I have had the chimney swept and the sweep said only half a bucket of soot was removed. He did a smoke test and the chimney pull was excellent with smoke bellowing out of the top. I did ask a number of fire suppliers but they just refered me to their Web page (Box shifters maybe?) Alfie Robinson

I would agree - if you don't need wone and wasn't using one before don't buy a new gas fire now.

the old one wasn not used because of the problem/smell reading the first post.

a normal radiant gas fire is probably the most efficient. I dont know what the best would be make and model wise tbh. Whats your budget?

Last edited:
A good way to throughly check a flue is to temporary block it at the top then put a smoke bomb in. I once used the method on a multi story block of flats after even the Department of the Environment experts could find nothing. It sure showed up the faults, yet the test is recommended by many people. I suppose the problem is getting on the roof to seal the flue why it is not perhaps done so often. It would add a lot of cost to a gas check. But if you feel unsure it is a good way to do an additional check.

vent cap on the pot and a vent in the lounge or you'll get stains all up the chimmney section. Whoever removed your fire will be the ones to seek advice from.

A good way to throughly check a flue is to temporary block it at the top then put a smoke bomb in. I once used the method on a multi story block of flats after even the Department of the Environment experts could find nothing. It sure showed up the faults, yet the test is recommended by many people. I suppose the problem is getting on the roof to seal the flue why it is not perhaps done so often. It would add a lot of cost to a gas check. But if you feel unsure it is a good way to do an additional check.

you are describing smoke test 1, which is like a proper gas tightness test which is mandatory on solid fuel installations but not on gas installations unless the integrity of the flue is in question. Its def a good way to find leaks.

I have just had removed a Valor Homeflame from my lounge. This was fitted into a hole 35w x 64h x42D Internally this opened to 32d x 67w and then went up the chimney which is 9 sweeps rods tall . I would like to replace it with the most efficient Gas flue fire and hope you can advise me on this as at 73 I have no idea. The Valor was never used as when switched on one got fumes which one couldn’t see but could smell in the lounge. Valor checked the fire and said it was fine and I have had the chimney swept and the sweep said only half a bucket of soot was removed. He did a smoke test and the chimney pull was excellent with smoke bellowing out of the top. I did ask a number of fire suppliers but they just refered me to their Web page (Box shifters maybe?) Alfie Robinson

Traditional style radiant fires tend to be the cheapest to buy and the most efficient. Your best bet would be to visit a reputable fireplace shop in your area or find a local Gas Safe Engineer who installs gas fires (such as myself!) who can carry out a proper survey for to ensure you get the right appliance fitted for your needs..... Don't just buy form the internet to save a couple of quid without getting expert advice as it may end up costing more in the long run, a fire/fireplace installer such as myself could advise on what's best and also check to see if any modification needs to be made to your existing fireplace.

What area are you in?

Why is this discussion happening on the public forum? Don't believe Valor came out and checked it. If you want a new gas fire do some internet research, but beforehand get the chimney checked and surveyed by a GSR engineer who will no doubt try to flog you some sort of gas fire. Get a minimum three quotes.

Gas fires are useless. Potentially dangerous if not checked annually and they are, by their very nature, inefficient.

If your room is cold enough to warrant a fire, you'd be much better off having an extra/bigger radiator fitted.

Also, if the last fire was spilling fumes, there's a good chance the integrity of your chimney is compromised. You really need to get this checked properly, by a GSR before making any plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
No more dangerous or inefficient than an open fire. Still a place for them and much more controllable than an open fire.

No more dangerous or inefficient than an open fire. Still a place for them and much more controllable than an open fire.

Not condoning open fires of any fuel type. Just as I dont use water pressure driven motors, things have moved on and higher efficiency solutions are available. Fire belongs outside or in a boiler imho.

What??? I can't believe what I'm reading! Whether to have a gas fire or not is a personal choice and normally more to do with aesthetics and as a back up than as a main heating source. I know there are still a few places around with no central heating, normally older people who 'don't like it' who insist on relying on wall heaters and a gas fire which I agree is to be discouraged in place of a correct heating system but for qualified engineers to blanket condemn all gas fires as being rubbish and dangerous is just ridiculous! Just because you don't like them yourself, that is just your opinion.

Correctly fitted, serviced and maintained there is no reason why gas fires should present any issues to the consumer and they are not all 'rubbish'. It's just that some people would prefer to sit around a nice cosy fire in the evening than stare at their boiler or radiator!

There are many advantages to having a gas fire/openfire/woodburner, especially where I live. I'm sitting nice and cosy and warm with candles alight, while those poor sods that did not anticipate yet another power cut and cant get that efficient boiler to fire because of no lece are freezing cold.

Last edited:
A vast percentage of them a never serviced or maintained.

If you go into your local plumb center, and ask for a fire brochure, it shows the efficiency ratings of all the fires.

A vast percentage of them a never serviced or maintained.

If you go into your local plumb center, and ask for a fire brochure, it shows the efficiency ratings of all the fires.

Unfortunately so... It's usually a phone call when a cold snap comes and it won't work and then it's, 'oh, I hardly ever use it and it's only about five years old....' ( more like ten and it's never been serviced since it was fitted!!)..... I guess for some people it's because they don't rely on them for their heating and water and some people don't get stuff serviced period, until it breaks, won't work or gets condemned.

There quite a few HE glass fronted fires around these days ( conventional flue as well as balanced flue) and some quote figures of up to 85% efficient and more..... Although the traditional DFE fire is never going to be a realistic appliance for any kind of heating hence 'Decorative Fuel Effect..'

They definitely have their place in the market ( not to mention keeping me in work!) but trying to get customers to keep up the service schedule is always a challenge and some of the original 'tray' types I remove from the 70's/80's are pretty scary.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes, all that was in place. Just had no idea...
Replies
Views
He is registered for work on gas fires. After...
Replies
Views
Hi jrtrrror, 1, Yes it...
Replies
Views
Unless I'm wrong the regs on require you to...
Replies
Views
Jennie, can you please send an image of your...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back