replacing a combi boiler - need a bit of advice please | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss replacing a combi boiler - need a bit of advice please in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emz

Hi

We've just bought a flat and in the kitchen, right near the window and about a foot or less above the worktop, is a huge combi boiler. It's a Worcester Bosch junior something? Like a dirty cream colour with a dark grey panel where controls and name plate is. We do not know if it works as the flat is uninhabitable and there is no kitchen units etc yet. The flat was a conversion from around 2004 so boiler is at least that old but could be older as it was probably bought on the cheap (everything about the conversion was done on the cheap!). I know these boilers are good for a lot more years but it's just too big for the size of kitchen (dinky).

Because of the size of the boiler (850H, 550W, and quite deep) we are considering changing it to a smaller one (maybe an Ideal Logic 30 or something equally small that will sit inside a cupboard). But we need to make this decision before we order the kitchen as at present we are basing our design on this large boiler, yet we don't even know if it works so might need to have it changed anyway. And the size is messing up our design options.

My question is, if we ask our plumber to change the boilers over, how big a job is it? There are five metal pipes coming out of the bottom of the existing boiler - they look to be about an inch wide each. Can we have slimmer pipes on the new boiler and can they be hidden at all, eg bent around so they can be boxed in discretely and so on. Is it a huge job to change over boilers? We shouldn't need to move the external vent as this is the usual top cupboard height.

How many extra hours will the plumber need to factor in (approx) to do this changeover?

Our plumber is reluctant to change the boiler as it's a HUGE job - so we want to be sure it is, or whether he just doesn't want to do it and trying to put us off.

thanks for advice

Swapping the boiler shouldn't be a huge job unless there are issues with flue clearances or gas pipe sizes. Most installers would have it done in a day.

Why not save your money, get it checked and serviced before you make any decisions? Your boiler is sized for the flat, not the kitchen.

It definitely can't hurt to have it swapped though croppie. Ideal logic is sized for kitchen cupboards so would be ideal.

Unfortunately you can't go changing pipe sizes under boilers, they are the way they are for a reason. You'll also need an extra pipe going to a waste somewhere.

change your plumber, get someone who knows what they doing :)

Harsh !!!!!

the boiler change would be easy to do, the extra time and costs would depend on the distance of the new postion (eg. just lifted up or other side of kitchen), the way the pipework got routed to suit your/customers tastes (eg. chased into wall, behind boiler jig etc...) , access to external flue position being a flat (e. scaffold needed) and how good a job was done on the original boiler (eg. was the gas sized correctly, was it flushed etc...) aswell as a few other things.

so as you can see its hard to give you a figure or much advise apart from get a couple of quotes form some local engineers, mek sure there gas safe registered and have insurance etc.....

The physical size of the boiler isn't always relative to the heat output. The Worcester Junior you have was the smallest output combi that Worcester made. They are fairly basic boilers and shouldn't take much to get it working. Seems a lot of effort changing what could be a perfectly healthy boiler for the sake of a kitchen cupboard.

I've seen many joiners create a cupboard to house a boiler! By the way, the flat probably had heavy smokers if the boiler is cream, last time I checked, the Junior was pristine white!!

Agree with what others have said, should be no more than a days work to change it over.

Hi. thanks for your replies. The boiler is huge and ugly! But, we've managed to get a kitchen design that should hide it. The suppliers will visit flat anyway to check first etc and if there's any problems we will change it if necessary to a smaller more modern version. I had a WB Junior in my house and it was quite small and that was fitted around 2005, but this one is even bigger and uglier which makes me think it is older than we have been led to believe. But before we order the kitchen we need to get our plumber to check the boiler works and so far we have nothing connected to the gas or water. The old kitchen and bathroom/toilet were all removed in the strip out and the gas/water turned off at the mains. I don't know if he's capped off the gas but don't think he has so he would need to do that (at the cooker point) and cap off the water in bathroom/toilet before we can test the boiler and central heating. We are getting confused as to what should come first in the order of works though and it's getting a bit stressful.
thanks

Hi. thanks for your replies. The boiler is huge and ugly! But, we've managed to get a kitchen design that should hide it. The suppliers will visit flat anyway to check first etc and if there's any problems we will change it if necessary to a smaller more modern version. I had a WB Junior in my house and it was quite small and that was fitted around 2005, but this one is even bigger and uglier which makes me think it is older than we have been led to believe. But before we order the kitchen we need to get our plumber to check the boiler works and so far we have nothing connected to the gas or water. The old kitchen and bathroom/toilet were all removed in the strip out and the gas/water turned off at the mains. I don't know if he's capped off the gas but don't think he has so he would need to do that (at the cooker point) and cap off the water in bathroom/toilet before we can test the boiler and central heating. We are getting confused as to what should come first in the order of works though and it's getting a bit stressful.
thanks
hope for there and your sake that gas is capped !! its very dangerous to leave a uncapped gas pipe. get them back ASAP !!!

I know it's dangerous! I was only told about it yesterday. I will get it capped off tomorrow when we're there. It's not local to us so bit of a trek. Oh, and there's no gas supply at the moment as it's a pay as you go meter that was in debit by previous owner, so I'm leaving it as not supplied until it's capped off. Bit of a mess really. We're a bit out of our depth with this refurb but can't afford to just get people in as and when - we're relying on people we know from where we live who aren't local to the flat.

If he's left it uncapped then I'd question his ability to work with gas safely!

Hi Emz,
In my opinion if the boiler is that old and your moving into a new place and springing for a new kitchen get the boiler upgraded, as already mentioned it shouldn't be a huge job, why not get a local engineer to come and cast an eye over the system that way you'll get the advice you seek and they can make the current installation safe! Maybe someone on here can help you?
what county are you in?
Thanks Dan

I don't understand why you'd build a cupboard around a boiler that probably has a limited working life left. Get it upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
A
I looked up the faults out of curiosity as I...
Replies
Views
Back