Replacing a water tank ballcock | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing a water tank ballcock in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mrs B

Hi All. I have a fast dripping overflow. Apparently the ballcock in the cold water tank is rusty and 'on it's last legs'. How easy a job is it to replace DIY or how much should I expect to pay a plumber to come out and do it? Thanks :)

Hi mrs b. welcome to the forum!

easy peezy DIY job if you are confidant enough. Have a look at the ball valve you currently have. Buy a similar replacent. And buy a new fibre washer too. Isolate mains water and open the downstairs cold tap to release the last drop of water in the pipework. Then change it. 2 spanners and 10minutes later you can sit back and admire your work! Have buckets and towels ready just incase!!

Hi & welcome, ballcock = float valve & they are made of brass, so do not rust as such.
Main thing to find out before attempting anything is can you shut the water off to it ?? If so, then it might be worth a go, just make sure you have a replacement one handy most domestic ones are still 1/2" BS1010 brass & what is called a part 1 (i.e. water comes out straight down into the cistern) although you can replace like for like I would recommend you by a Part 2 (water comes out at the top & there is a little plastic spout to send it down).
If all goes well you should be able to just replace the working parts inside the cistern by undoing the union nut on the old & new ones & exchanging parts leaving pipe connection in place.
Hope the helps & make sense.

Hi & welcome, ballcock = float valve & they are made of brass, so do not rust as such.
Main thing to find out before attempting anything is can you shut the water off to it ?? If so, then it might be worth a go, just make sure you have a replacement one handy most domestic ones are still 1/2" BS1010 brass & what is called a part 1 (i.e. water comes out straight down into the cistern) although you can replace like for like I would recommend you by a Part 2 (water comes out at the top & there is a little plastic spout to send it down).
If all goes well you should be able to just replace the working parts inside the cistern by undoing the union nut on the old & new ones & exchanging parts leaving pipe connection in place.
Hope the helps & make sense.

Piece of cake

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It depends. If there's a hole in the coil, the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you, I’ll do just that. Much appreciated
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. That was my thoughts. I assumed if...
Replies
Views
Back