Replacing a ye older Syphon... Shires round syphon | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing a ye older Syphon... Shires round syphon in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mitch Krew

Hi I have a shire syphon that I want to replace as there is very minor link into the toilet but more than that I want to install a more eco friendly syphon with half flush and full flush (eco friendly and more wallet friendly).

Anyway, today I purchased today a tool station round syphon and removed the old one. I discovered the old shires syphon sits within a sunken sub section within the larger tank meaning my modern day syphon won't fit as it has simply a vertical pipe (and the main flushing vacuum section won't fit within this smaller sunken area). The ye olde shires syphon has a kink in it which mean it has a chicane where it doesn't simply go down into the toilet from the cistern but it moves out right and then there's a downpipes allowing it to fit in this slightly quickly wall mounted cistern...

The way I see it there are a few options:

1: Locate a syphon that replicates this quirky L shape but is a modern day syphon?
2: Replace the Cistern completely - but feels more involved but willing to consider
3: Somehow get a Shires syphon but I was told they're out of business for about 20 years!

Any comments please help! :)

Fluidmaster pro siphon would fit if you have the length / width

Thank you Shaun

I’ll try and post a picture as I think I only have approx 900mm from the centre of the down pipe to the edge of this sunken subsection at the bottom of the cistern - do I try and get around this by having an elevated down pipe?

Fluidmaster pro siphon would fit if you have the length / width
Thanks Shaun 👍🏻

In this quirky cistern it has a sunken subsection 170mm in width and 180mm in height with a depth of 85mm that's at at the bottom of the cistern ... It's annoying as without this setup the rest of the cistern is a good size for normal regular syphons. The old shires branded syphon had a weird L shape pipe which enabled the piston section to be offset and fit within this setup...

I did find a Dudley syphon that claims to be the most compact in the world and the spec sheet says it's 115mm from the centre of the downpipe to the edge which is probably 30mm too big 🙈

Is there some sort of weird solution where I use an elongated downpipe or something or is it a whole new cistern to fit modern syphon sizes now that Shires is a long gone provider?

As your not logged in your in post mod reply que as we get spam (I have to manually approve them 👍)

Thanks Shaun 👍🏻

In this quirky cistern it has a sunken subsection 170mm in width and 180mm in height with a depth of 85mm that's at at the bottom of the cistern ... It's annoying as without this setup the rest of the cistern is a good size for normal regular syphons. The old shires branded syphon had a weird L shape pipe which enabled the piston section to be offset and fit within this setup...

I did find a Dudley syphon that claims to be the most compact in the world and the spec sheet says it's 115mm from the centre of the downpipe to the edge which is probably 30mm too big 🙈

Is there some sort of weird solution where I use an elongated downpipe or something or is it a whole new cistern to fit modern syphon sizes now that Shires is a long gone provider?

Can you measure from the centre of the outlet inside the cistern to the wall of the cistern eg far right

I am yet to fail in fitting one of these in most old cisterns

Attachments

• IMG_8773.jpeg
    IMG_8773.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 32

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t get a photo...
Replies
Views
N
Dual Flush is a water-saving design for a...
Replies
Views
Burlington do one too, traditional style, will...
Replies
Views
V
  • Question
If they are genuinely steel pipes with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This is the hot water service unit.
Replies
Views
Back