Replacing back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Macca2011

Hi there, a customer wants me to fit a new combi boiler. He currently has a back fired boiler. If I fit the new boiler and connect to existing services and remove hot cylinder. Can I leave the back boiler in and use it as a gas fire? what do I need to cap or alter? any help would be great as I have never done one of these before. I'm to young lol

thanks

weve had this before collective wisdom is you need to cap the gas supply to the boiler and leave the f and r pipes cut but not sealed
to cap the gas you need to take the union out of the gas valve and cap that
dont remove the burners from the back boiler

I was always under the impression the burner has to be removed so it cannnot be re-instated? if someone could clarify this for me i would be greatful....

Call the manufacturers and see if they say the fire can be left in operation and if so what needs to be done.

Done a few for BG their " Quality control supervisor says just to cap the gas going to the BBU

Last edited by a moderator:
so i can cap the gas to the boiler but leave the fire live so it can be used. when you say cut the flow and return pipes but don't cap, do you mean from the back boiler. surely the flow and return coming off this will need to be linked together to complete the circulation or would you cap it as a dead leg?

i would suggest a call to the manufacture for advise, following there advise will give you some protection.

I always cap of gas to BBU best at valve. Cut the thermocouple, and you are supposed to drain system and all pipework to BBU, cut the pipes in the fireplace opening and seal the ones going up to A/C so no fumes can pass up the pipes into A/C or wherever they end.

Think only baxi let you do this, you leave the burner and face plate on the combustion chamber fitted as to leave the airflow up the flue the same. Disconnect the brass tail from the gas gas valve and cap with a 1/2" iron cap, cut off the electrics and remove the multi plug so no electrics are at the boiler. Cut and cap the pipework leaving the catchment area and leave ends open at the bbu to allow any steam build up to escape. Mark the front of the boiler with a marker pen stating that the bbu is decommisioned.

ffs this has been covered so many times?

Their is a TB specifically about this on the GS web site and it has been covered here god knows how many times.

If you have not got access to the Gas Safe website then you should not be doing it.

If you have access why ask for info on an open forum?

ffs this has been covered so many times?

Their is a TB specifically about this on the GS web site and it has been covered here god knows how many times.

If you have not got access to the Gas Safe website then you should not be doing it.

If you have access why ask for info on an open forum?

Sorry I am new on here, thought that's what forums were for. Consider me told off :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Back