Replacing Gate Valves for?? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing Gate Valves for?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace some gate valves (scared!) because 80% of them are seized and i can't free them. This is all because there are no service valves fitted to the sink/bath etc that i'm wanting to change.

Here is a picture of the offending isolation points (forum won't let me insert urls, or attach files??)
htt p : / / i m g u r.com/hmGZcIg
http://i.*********/hmGZcIg.jpg
The question is what should i change them for? i hear gate valves aren't the best and i wanted to replace them for lever ball valves. The problem here is it doesn't look like its possible for the levers to be opened due to the distance between the pipes and length of the lever (insert link here to pegler valve, forum won't let me)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
this a manor house?

ball valves may not be the best choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lever ball valves do not have to be fitted with the levers facing the front as do the gate valves.

There is no reason why they could not be fitted side ways on with the levers parallel to the wall.

Prefer the lever, find the butterfly valves difficult to shift by hand.

Can always 'adjust' the length of thr levers with the angle grinder :)

Just fit all the lever valves not exactly straight out from the wall but slightly angled out pointing towards front of airing cuboard. Peglers make small lever valves.

The lever ball valves do not have to be fitted with the levers facing the front as do the gate valves.

There is no reason why they could not be fitted side ways on with the levers parallel to the wall.

Thankyou all for your replies it's very much appreciated. The above reply makes me feel stupid but of course will work just fine!

Now i just need to pluck up the courage to change them all, any advice on getting it off and back on? Obviously there needs to be some play in the pipe to get it off right? Any other tips are very much welcome.

Also was going to get pegler valves from screwfix, any alternatives on price and quality let me know! The 28mm ones are a bit more expensive, o and do they need to be full bore?

The lever valves have a different thread on the nuts, so you will probably have to cut the old olives off.

Gate valves are old hat. These ones can probably be eased off with a a bit of back forth rotation. Long term fit good quality nylon seated valves. At least they don't let by.

What do you guys charge labour for replacing a gate valve out of interest ?

So £90 labour to change all those valves and offering to let the customer use your discount to buy the valve if they wanted seem reasonable to you?

i would loosen the gland nuts on the gv's first as they may not actually be seized, just a bit tight

Leave old gate valve bodies in place and just crack the insert out. Fit new insert. Done? No need to mess around struggling to take old bodies out, with no flex on pipes etc?

Leave old gate valve bodies in place and just crack the insert out. Fit new insert. Done? No need to mess around struggling to take old bodies out, with no flex on pipes etc?
How will you know which innards to get? they are not a standard.

So £90 labour to change all those valves and offering to let the customer use your discount to buy the valve if they wanted seem reasonable to you?

No sounds stupid to me. £150 plus the hat. If not I'm not loosing any sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have successfully change the first one...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Yes correct valve handle The one on the tank...
Replies
Views
Back