Replacing one central heating radiator with two | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing one central heating radiator with two in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I want to replace one radiator underneath the window (which is useless when it's cold and dark becuase it's behind the curtains) with one tall radiator at each side of the window.

I imagined plumbing them in parallel like this. (The dark squares in the middle are where the existing pipes go into the wall.)

1718460144683.png

Plumber has been and had a look and said that's impossible to replace one radiator with two because one of them will always be cold.
Is this so (seems somewhat implausible)?

To do this and replace three more radiators I've been quoted £1400. Does that sound right -- it's a lot more than what I'd guessed?

What size is the pipework to the existing rad

10mm or 15mm

Yep so won’t do two rads so need to open the ceiling up to find the manifold and take a new supply off for the rads

Note manifold won’t be in the same room as the rads normally in a hall ceiling

I was told something like that.
I like to double check everything so thank you for the second opinion.
That's annoying!

What will happen if I just do it anyway?

One will heat ish the other will be cold turn one off the other one will heat up fine

Welcome to new builds

Might be easier to upgrade the existing rad eg under the window and shorten the curtains

Fit one radiator, correctly sized to heat the room, (if there is the space) it won't look as stupid as you think.
If the above turns out to be wrong, in your eyes, fit a second radiator to make it symetrical, but don't pipe it up.

Cheapest / simplest option, cut the curtains down in length.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
done, but let's assume you didn't see that...
Replies
Views
Back