Replacing radiators with 10mm pipes | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing radiators with 10mm pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have double panel single convector radiators in my flat which are fine. They're cold at the bottom which i know normally means a sludge build up. Would getting someone in to flush them with chemicals work to clear this? And is that the only option apart from replacing the radiators altogether!? Are there any approaches i could attempt myself?

The supply pipes are around 10mm diameter so not sure if thats compatible with new radiators?

The 10mm pipe will be fine for new radiators. How old is the system?

If the rads are sludged and you want to save money you could drain the system and remove rads one by one and flush them, but unless you are on a ground floor flat you would have a problem.
The 10mm pipes supplying one rad are okay if not too long to each rad, unless they are sludged also.
Circulating pumps can also be blocked or faulty.

Last edited:
The boiler is roughly 5yrs old but the pipework and radiators are older i believe. We're a couple of floors up so i'd rather avoid detaching each radiator and flushing unfortunately. Thats why i wondered if it would be easier to just replace them with new. I was under the impression that the whole under floor pipework was 10mm diameter from the boiler although having said that i can't see any 10mm pipes leaving the boiler i don't think but haven't looked too closely.

Thanks

It is hard for me to say without knowing how badly sludged up the rads are. Age doesn't matter because it depends how fast or slow corrosion occurs in a system design and its history and also if inhibitor was added. But to pay £500 for a power flush might be foolish if rads are well corroded and certainly not worth it if only a few inexpensive rads. If existing rads are a bit tired looking, needing painted etc and maybe not perfect for heat output, new rads will look well and might give better performance.
The 10mm pipes to each rad will either come directly teed off from large pipes, or manifolds will be somewhere doing same.

Yes hard to determine the level of corrosion, from the outside at least the rads are in reasonable condition with paint only starting to flake on parts of one or two. They'll have been painted within the last few years i suspect. There's only 6 rads in the flat and only have 5 turned on. Probably wouldn't be a hell of a lot more to replace them if flushing could be £500.

Thanks for the advice.

Add a system cleaner, drain and refill. If no better replace rads and add inhibitor so no repeat of problems. If the rads are really old just replace them, the new ones will work and look so much better.

Is that something I could do myself easily? I'm in a block of flats on 2nd floor so any leaks will havw consequences. Is it easy to drain the system, it's presumably pumped out somehow? I don't have a drain valve on any of my radiators that I can see.

Anything is easy if you know how.. . Sometimes you have to remove a small radiator and hook a hose onto one of the valves to drain it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
No, I can try this, out of interest, what is...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
yes ur right I meant 2x 3kw big double rads...
Replies
Views
M
Correct. It would use a standard sized nut...
Replies
Views
Back