Replacing the flush valve in Ideal Standard cistern | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing the flush valve in Ideal Standard cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formula400

I think I have an Ideal Standard Sottini, Conceala 2 dual flush cistern with chrome flush plate fitted in my downstairs WC. Water input is to the top of the cistern. The cistern is concealed. Top access is fine, just remove a shelf. Bottom access is difficult as the cistern is boxed in.
The cistern has developed the following problems pretty much at the same time:
1. Short flush: cistern flushes, but, instead of shutting off, water continues to run into the into the bowl in large volumes and must be disappearing via the internal overflow. The water system makes a loud vibrating noise (a bit like water hammer) while this is happening. The only way to stop the water flow is to push the long flush button.
2. Long flush: cistern flushes, but water flow not does not shut off immediately. Water continues to run into the bowl in decreasing volume for about 10 to 20 seconds or more. It then continues to flow into the bowl in very small amounts; it never shuts off completely.
I think I probably need to replace the flush valve. So, eventually here's my question. Can the flush valve be removed from the top? Can I just turn this flush valve a quarter turn anti-clockwise to remove it? Searching for spare parts it looks like the Ideal Standard flush valve has been updated. Would an updated valve fit in place of the rtemoved part of the old flush valve, or do I have to look for an original?
Thanks for any help,
Geoff

The water may be by-passing the flush seal rather than going down the overflow. I haven't dealt with this type of valve but there will be some method of getting it out through the top of the cistern. It is usually a push down and quarter turn or clips that flick back to release it. I have looked at pictures but they don't seem to help.

Have a look on toiletspares website and see if you can identify it accurately from the shape and colours. Then, if you buy a new one you will be able to see exactly how it comes out.

Good Luck
Paulus

Ideal standard flush valves are cack, washers degrade every couple years then they start passing. Get a new one off Amazon or toilet spares and just swap out the valve body leaving the base in the cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
If you mean the screw fitting that holds the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you. Worked a treat,
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just remove the cistern and do the job...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I will and check if it improve the things👍
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks and thanks for the helpful youtube clip...
Replies
Views
Back