Replacing Thermal Store Question | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Replacing Thermal Store Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My 16 year old Albion Mainsflow Integrated Combi Thermal Store (Direct) MF30/180 has split and needs replacing. I have had a couple of plumbers look at it and both have quoted me around the £2000 mark. I never expected it to cost anywhere near that but find that the cylinder alone is around £1200.

I asked if there was a cheaper alternative and my plumber looked into it and said no. I asked why a standard system with the additional tank in the loft couldn't be fitted and was told that the Thermal Store that I have is special. I don't know what was meant by this. Am I being mislead? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
best to keep the thermal store over a gravity hot water cylinder if you want the same pressure and flow rates on your hot water taps and shower.

Hi Paul
You could try an un-vented direct hot water cylinder, these will still give you mains pressure hot water. They are likely to be cheaper & last a lot longer than the thermal store, however it will require a discharge waste pipe from the safety valves to outside or to a soil stack which was one of the advantage of using a thermal store.
The installation has to be carried out by a someone who holds a Part G / un-vented ticket to show they are competent & will need to be notified to your local Building Control, please make sure the plumbers who quote for the work all have the ticket, ask to see it.

As Chris says an unvented might be your best bet, if you want to stick with a store you could get a gledhill pulsacoil for a lot less than £1200

It might pay to get another plumber who might be able to offer you some alternative ideas to take a look

I noticed today that gledhill have started making Boiler Mates again, a new BP model.

I won't pass any comment on them as I've not fitted one. However the Pulsacoil BP's seem a lot better than the old 'A' Class, and 2000, models that proceeded them.

In effect they've gone back to the start like the olf III models, and just use a blending valve rather than PCB's and modulating pumps.

Boiler mates, only one word for them, cack. But that's just my experience.

I would agree, but I'm quite happy repairing them and all the other abominations that Gledhill produced.

I've fitted the new BP Pulsacoil and as I say it was better than the models it replaced. Much more basic.

The copper cylinders in the Boilermates is waffer thin though. I wonder if they've improved on that.

Thanks all. I think I'll stick with a thermal store and get a second opinion from another plumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Lower running costs for one ,size it for the...
Replies
Views
They don’t have a expansion relief eg prv is...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV...
Replies
Views
great, thanks for sharing, really difficult to...
Replies
Views
Sort out your draughts & get some insulation...
Replies
Views
Back