replacing very old (1938) style immersion heater | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss replacing very old (1938) style immersion heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hello all

I've got to replace a leaking HWC

I'm fine about doing the job exept where you would normally find a burned out knackered electrical immersion heater there is an essembly that I've not come across before.

1938 cylinder.jpg

View larger image here: 1938 cylinder | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It is basically 2 half inch pipes coming off what I think is CH circuit just beside the mid position valve and above the pump beside the tank.

These 2 pipes go down into the would be immersion hole.

I can only guess that they are looped and act as a secondary coil?

Since the cylinder is so old I've not come across this before......Has anyone?

Also if I am to reinstall this loop can I get a fitting which will seal the two pipes into the immersion hole?

Maybe I can just chop these two pipes back and cap

Then install a new immersion heater?

I would like to just chop these pipes back, cap and then blank off the immersion hole entirely, but then I'm guessing you'd only get hot water when the heating is on?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Dan

Looks like a 'hot rod' - very old school - takes the place of a primary coil in the cylinder by pushing water from the heating circuit through a long thin heat exchanger that fits in an immersion heater tapping. I've only ever seen one - I didn't think there would be any still about!

A modern indirect cylinder would be much more efficient. As it doesn't look like there's a motorised valve on it, you'd have to convert the pipework and controls to S or Y plan when you fit the new cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dan, where does the hot water supply from the diverter go to? I'm presuming a coil in the cylinder yeh? If the pipes are off the heating circuit and you also have a hot water circuit I'd do as you sugest and cut them back no longer required.

the tom plumb did a video about these hot rod things a while ago

thats a hot rod as matt says, and looks like a direct cylinder, if you are installing new indirect cylinder these two pipes need to go to heating coil in the side of cylinder, you can blank immersion boss or put in an immersion heater
imo

That takes me back haven't seen one of those for ages.

We used to use lots of these to convert a direct cylinder to indirect. They were common around the erly to mid 70's. Never heard them called a hot rod before, we called them by the brand name Microversion. I guess they were called that because they were made up using several lengths of 10mm tube. They worked very well but of course you lost the use of the immersion heater.

All you need to do as others have said is to connect the two pipes to the new inderect coil.

Hope that helps.

There were a few names for them. The microversion one as you say with the lengths of 10mm, Salamander i think made the hot rod version. There were a couple of others with the spring metal around the tubes and one with small fins on the tubes. We just called them a blade.
I think i may have a couple of different types lying around. If i remember, i'll post a pic for the un-initiated later.

Haha.....Glad I started that thread, seams to of bought up fond memories of times gone by.

I however knew nothing of them untill asking an old bloke at city plumbing.

Yeah seams pretty simple now actually, just tee those two pipes into the flow and return into the coil of the new indirect cylinder

I'll prob just blank off the immersion heater then

Thanks all....Regards....Dan :)

good scrap value in old cylinders :) much thicker than new ones, bonus !!!

Last edited:
Before i forget
IMG_3198.jpgIMG_3197.jpg

The first one was not a good version. One of the cheapies.
The second one is a Salamander version. It was actually called a hot tube. That one is brand new (20 years old at least) and still in the box.
Great the stuff you keep just in case :lol:

ripped out many cylinders with microversions they were a cheap way to convert a direct to indirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

so if you already have and use E7 then it...
Replies
Views
C
Newly bought home has somewhat older plumbing...
Replies
Views
combedcloud22
C
  • Question
Is it on 24/7? Could be an issue.
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
  • Question
You misunderstand, if you have an actual...
Replies
Views
The OP has a regular heat only boiler/system...
Replies
Views
Back