Restrictor elbow gas leak | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Restrictor elbow gas leak in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I did a landlord gas safety check this week. Drop test showed a 2mbar/2 mins leak. But off I went to find it.
I found the main leak on an old cooker. The tenant could smell gas, but only when the cooker was being used. So I condemned it, and recommended a new cooker.
I also found a leak from a gas fire's restrictor elbow. With the top cap off, and the insides screwed down (i.e., turned off), the elbow was letting by. So erring on the side of caution, I removed the elbow and capped the pipe until I could return with a new elbow.
My question: what is normal on a restrictor elbow? I've read that when in the 'up' position, the screw thread can let by but the top cap keeps it all in. But surely this can't be allowed when turned off.
Words of wisdom please, before I whip off all the restrictor elbows in town.
Thanks,
Jennie

they should turn off, might be worth whipping the screw out and seeing if there's some rubbish on the face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yeah but they don't always just detect Natural...
Replies
Views
Less than 350ppm is acceptable according to...
Replies
Views
I wish. Nowt so glamorous. Woke needing a pee...
Replies
Views
How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
Make sure there is a means of isolating the...
Replies
Views
Lloyd999
L
Back