Retrofit Access to Soil Stack | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Retrofit Access to Soil Stack in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skwdenyer

Hi there. I'm taking on a building which has recently had a new soil stack installed. Unfortunately, no access was put in at ground level, for rodding and/or manometer tests etc. Building Control were also not involved, but are now, so I need to be able to test the stack, for which I need access. And, yes, I know that ideally this would be somebody else's problem, but it isn't.

The stack is a new solvent-weld, black, plastic type. It is a vertical run, with multiple WCs and other wastes entering at various levels; it is 5 stories tall.

Obviously I could take the whole thing down and re-build, but that will take a long time, and involve serious scaffolding.

I read somewhere else that 'strap-on' or other retrofit access points / inspection covers might be available, but I'm having trouble in tracking anything like this down. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Alternatively, with this material, what is the feasibility of cutting-out a section of stack, installing a suitable access point, and then finding an appropriate fitting to join everything back together?

Thanks!

Cut a section out, insert an acess pipe and then join back together with a slip coupler.

Thank you for the suggestions. The Access Saddle looks like a good idea to avoid disturbing too much elsewhere. From inspection, it looks like I should offer up the saddle to the pipe, mark the interior cut-out required, cut out with a hole saw, and then solvent-weld in place. I imagine cable ties to hold it tightly in position whilst welding would be a good idea? Does this require any additional support, in the manner of a strap-on boss?

Thanks ever so much.

Hi all, Im new here just wanted to add my thoughts, strap on glued boss is best way, dont like the look of those rubber hose type things they always look temp to me. plus you hav eto consider weight of stack sitting on it. (5 stories tall??)

obviously the above is best for permanent solution, but could he just take a toilet out, connect an access cap on the pipe (push fit) and test, then put toilet back, just to test?

obviously the above is best for permanent solution, but could he just take a toilet out, connect an access cap on the pipe (push fit) and test, then put toilet back, just to test?

Building Control Officer has told me that he wants to see an access at the base of the stack, so that the whole stack is tested. Lowest WC (which is lowest inlet to soil stack) is on half-landing (floor 0.5 if you see what I mean), base of stack is in the base of a light well at basement level. So there's 1.5 stories of stack between the two, which would be 'untested' in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Should have added in, naturally there will be...
Replies
Views
It doesn’t look like the internal pipe has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, i normally hang around in the gas safe...
Replies
Views
P
Hi I have a 3 storey 1900s house with a cast...
Replies
Views
peasoupblu
P
D
I'm installing a new soil stack for an ensuite...
Replies
Views
David1
D
Back