Reusing a boiler vent pipe as a cold water pipe | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Reusing a boiler vent pipe as a cold water pipe in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a new oil boiler and cylinder installed, upgrading from a vented system to unvented. The plumbers wanted to put in a 22mm internal pipe for the mains water, replacing the existing 15mm one, and have done this by repurposing the old boiler vent pipe, to save putting in a new pipe through ceilings and walls. As a result, all the water in the house now passes through a section of this old vent pipe (which previously led from the boiler up to the tank in the loft).

Is this sanitary? I suppose it's mainly steam that went up through the vent pipe, but might it also have been exposed to the muck in the central heating water? Should I be worried about drinking the water that has passed through this pipe?

I wouldn't re use a heating pipe for drinking water but that's me

If your ok with putting a new pipe in, I would go down this route

If its copper and well flushed through I would use it , but not sure if you should , definitely wouldnt use a plastic pipe

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's a copper pipe. I doubt if it's been flushed with anything more than the water that's flowing through it, but I can check with them about that.

Another vote for not re-using central heating pipework. For the supply of drinking water.

I'm all for recycling, but unless that pipe's been powerflushed, bleurgh!

Will have been full of stagnant skanky central heating water up to the water level of the cistern and will probably be lined with rust and limescale mix. Will probably taste dreadful.

Get a filter installed just before your kidneys :D

Is the old vent pipe only feeding cold mains to the new cylinder or do your cold tap supplies run through it also ???

Cold taps and cylinder are all fed through the old vent pipe.

However, after reading the replies here I've spoken to the plumber and he says he'll replace that bit of pipe.

Thanks for the advice.

The rules are quite clear. CH water is not potable, demand this is changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
Back