Riello burner not firing (camray 5 oil fired boiler) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Riello burner not firing (camray 5 oil fired boiler) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oink

I have removed photocell connection to control box. I get a click but no woomph! (does not fire) then locks out.

Any ideas?

What do you mean ? If you have removed the photocell it won't fire?

I read in a previous thread that if you remove the photocell from control box it should fire up and then lock out. Is this incorrect?

How long does it run before the control box goes into lockout, when was it las serviced?

Presumably you've got a fair amount of oil in the tank? (i.e. at least 1/3rd of tank and not approaching where you'd normally order more?)

If so, check there's oil coming through to the burner (remove bleed valve as explained in another post).

If so, you'll need to replace the photocell and time the ignition stage from start of cycle to cut out then tell us which control box you have, which burner and how long it takes to lock out.

It doesn't go into lockout. Unsure of last service, possibly 24 months or so when a new heat exchanger was fitted.

Tank is fairly low, certainly not 1/3 full. Will check oil supply and bleed as you suggest.

Tank is fairly low, certainly not 1/3 full. Will check oil supply and bleed as you suggest.

That could well be what it is. I've attended a number recently where there was not enough weight on oil pushing through to the burner. Once filled up, hey presto!!

I like the sound of hey presto! Many thanks for the advice, I'll let you know if that is the issue.

Seems to be a lot of poor quality oil around these parts don't know about yours, had lots of issues with filters and nozzles being full of crap.
Needs a service too if it hasn't been done in 2 years, could sort some of your problems.

Last winter seems to have frozen fire valves too - I've had to replace a number already either because they were leaking or not functioning properly.

I read in a previous thread that if you remove the photocell from control box it should fire up and then lock out. Is this incorrect?

You have to have the photocell in place to begin with and then remove it when the burner fires. If you cover the sensor it should then lockout. The photocell needs to be in the dark at the start of firing.

If the burner is not firing and not locking out then it's almost certainly a faulty photocell.

If the burner is not firing and you suspect the photocell is faulty because it doesnt let the burner get to the ignition stage you check the photocell by disconnecting it from the control box and starting the burner, if it fires and then goes to lockout then the photocell is ok .Your photocell would appear to be ok but there is a problem with the boiler not firing. If you are saying that the burner is not working at all but just humming this can be either the capacitor or something preventing the motor from turning either a seized motor or seized fuel pump or jammed drive dog.
I dont know why you removed the photocell in the first place having read the full thread I believe you are saying that all you get is a humming noise from the burner, that is a classic example of one of the points I said above ie capacitor etc, it is nothing to do with the oil, the boiler should be able to run until it empties the tank as long as the burner is below the level of the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
L
With no pressure gauge or flue gas analyser...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
Was the oil pressure checked before replacing...
Replies
Views
Back