room sealed flue in brickwork/void | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss room sealed flue in brickwork/void in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all
I've been searching for clarification on this and cant find it, I'll prob end up ringing gas safe but here goes anyway!
got to service a boiler r/s on monday and as i know the property I know the flue runs into what looks like boxing, maybe about a meter then terminates on the outside wall, I mentioned to the home owner new regs re flues in voids, but he has told me the home builders, (its a newish estate i.e under warranty) have sent letters round saying the flues in voids is not applicable as the flue is in brick, lined with plasterboard. so I assume not in a void??

my question is basically this, is the ruling due to the void or because the full flue length cant be inspected
I thought it was the latter but I don't want to start slapping AR on boilers for no reason?

I'm assuming there must be a join in that run somewhere also which obviously makes it an important factor.

Might be me being unfair but I'm taking the info on his letter from the builders with a pinch of salt because if this is a problem someones pocket is going to take a big hit!

looking forward to any pearls of wisdom,

thanks Dan

does it need acces if its one length but then how do you prove its one length i say this because i notice longer lengths of flue(2m) appearing on some boilers extras lists. Years ago with non condensing you could get 3m lengths of concentric flue for some boilers

it needs inspected within the void. how do you know it does not have a set of bends in it, damaged, rotten, vandalised, or just ugly! but then it may be perfect and you did what you needed to do. the builders letter means nothing as your the decision maker on this. AR if working/reading good. ID if any bad signs. IMHO ta steve

Back