Room thermostat confusment | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Room thermostat confusment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have a few questions regarding a Room thermostat unit

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/drayton-rts1-room-thermostat/85263

I have a few questions regarding it

1) Does it control the central heating or hot water or both ?

2) Is it suppose to make a click noise, my old unit use to make a 'click' when I moved it from 16-24c, the new unit no longer makes a click noise this is with central heating on or off.

3) What does this Room thermostat do exactly ?, I have a combi boiler which I either manually switch on or let the timer rotate its timed start and end times.

Appreciate any responses cheers

It has a 240v relay so if it's not powered up i.e. Heating call it won't click!

so I have to switch on heating and then move the dial to desired house temp say 22c to hear that click ?

I will try again but this new ones not made no clicking with it on or off during the past weeks testing.

Out of interest does this thermostat actually switch on the central heating automatically on when the sensor detects it has dropped under the selected thermostat setting ie 22c ?

so I have to switch on heating and then move the dial to desired house temp say 22c to hear that click ?

I will try again but this new ones not made no clicking with it on or off during the past weeks testing.

two or three wire install? (plus the earth)

Out of interest does this thermostat actually switch on the central heating automatically on when the sensor detects it has dropped under the selected thermostat setting ie 22c ?

Only if the timer is also calling for heat. If the timer is off, the stat won't bring the heating on.

I think it was 3-4 wires, the service guy installed it so only caught a quick glimpse of the internals.

It matters

Should be two screws underneath

Undo them (won't have to take them all the way out)

Should pull and lift off

1 is live

2 neutral

3 live to boiler

If 2 is missing there's your problem

Hi Shaun always appreciate it and to everyone too

I have a pic of the internals here:

http://i68.tinypic.com/33wmxz6.jpg

inside of the plastic cover says RTS1 and wiring set up, mentions it should click also.

http://i68.tinypic.com/ivxoc4.jpg

Did the engineer do the wiring ok?

Also I may have just fixed it I noticed the cover was stuck on the trunking a bit so when I put it back on I tried to make sure those contacts N/L/3 are touching it, its now clicking when I move it to 22c with heating on, did I just fix it lol ?

yep wiring is fine and glad that fixed it

1. Are you having a laugh
2. Yes
3. When the room heats up the stat senses the temperature and turns your heating off. The room cools it turns back on again

Are you sure its wired into the system correctly (if at all) cos a wean with a biscuit arse could tell you when the radiators don't heat

1. Are you having a laugh
2. Yes
3. When the room heats up the stat senses the temperature and turns your heating off. The room cools it turns back on again

Are you sure its wired into the system correctly (if at all) cos a wean with a biscuit arse could tell you when the radiators don't heat

thanks for the reply

That is the confusing situation I have experienced, multiple engineers have mentioned similar or different explanations to point 3.

1 engineer said if you put the dial to 22c for example it helps regulate the central heating to that temp.

Another engineer has said it will automatically switch on the heating and switch off once it gets to selected temp ie 22c

Another engineer even said our thermostat does 100% nothing for our home since its not designed for your central heating, and our boilers temp and on and off is controlled via the drayton control/switch box and boiler instead.

This temp sensor has never switched on or off our central heating system for over 10 years !

The only way to get our central heating on or off is to manually switch it on and off, even if I move the dial to where it clicks say 18c our boiler won't come on, even 22c or 24c etc, everything's always been controlled via the timer box with on/off/timer switch and boiler unit. This is why I think the one engineer that said the thermostat does nothing is correct.

One things for clear several engineers have had their own theories on this elusive thermostat!

Last edited:
i think you need to explain yourself properly in the first place post one should have staed all tha then you would have your answer if you have been told it doesnt work then get someone in to fit one that will do the job. i think this thread should be closed OP is obviosly taking the *&$$

thanks for the reply

That is the confusing situation I have experienced, multiple engineers have mentioned similar or different explanations to point 3.

1 engineer said if you put the dial to 22c for example it helps regulate the central heating to that temp.

Another engineer has said it will automatically switch on the heating and switch off once it gets to selected temp ie 22c

Another engineer even said our thermostat does 100% nothing for our home since its not designed for your central heating, and our boilers temp and on and off is controlled via the drayton control/switch box and boiler instead.

This temp sensor has never switched on or off our central heating system for over 10 years !

The only way to get our central heating on or off is to manually switch it on and off, even if I move the dial to where it clicks say 18c our boiler won't come on, even 22c or 24c etc, everything's always been controlled via the timer box with on/off/timer switch and boiler unit. This is why I think the one engineer that said the thermostat does nothing is correct.

One things for clear several engineers have had their own theories on this elusive thermostat!

You didn't say that from the outset!

OK - the way the system should work is that:

1) the programmer / timer calls for heat. If that is switched to "off" or "timed" and is in an off period, the heating won't come on.

2) if there is a call for heat, the thermostat then comes into play - if room temperature is below that set point, it will switch the boiler on. If not, it will not.

The thermostat you have does not modulate. It is basically on/off although with the neutral connection it has an anticipator which allows it to switch on and off within a couple degrees of the set point, allowing a very rudimentary attempt at modulation.

The fact that your thermostat does not affect the boiler firing (assuming the programmer is calling for heat) indicates that there is a problem with the wiring, or a faulty programmer. Based on what you've said about the programmer switching the boiler on and off, I think the programmer is probably OK.

You need to get a heating engineer who understands controls wiring to have a look.

i think you need to explain yourself properly in the first place post one should have staed all tha then you would have your answer if you have been told it doesnt work then get someone in to fit one that will do the job. i think this thread should be closed OP is obviosly taking the *&$$

Not taking the pee and apologies for not mentioning it in post 1, but frankly quite confused which is why I did not mention the full issue in post 1.

When 4-5 different engineers from AA, Homeserve and other 3rd party companies attend your home, they all seem to have a different explanation or theory of what a thermostat actually does or how my heating in my home works or should work.

One engineer recently even told me he could not understand why I even had a cylinder in my house since I have a combination boiler, and there was zero need for it.

I am not a heating expert or plumber, just a regular joe blog that knows nothing much about heating, imagine if I you were told several reasons why this might not be working, its a slight headache for an end customer.

But I still managed to fix the thermostat myself when 2 engineers failed too :)

My issues appears fixed with my post below but thank you all for help in this confusing issue.

Last edited:
You didn't say that from the outset!

OK - the way the system should work is that:

1) the programmer / timer calls for heat. If that is switched to "off" or "timed" and is in an off period, the heating won't come on.

2) if there is a call for heat, the thermostat then comes into play - if room temperature is below that set point, it will switch the boiler on. If not, it will not.

The thermostat you have does not modulate. It is basically on/off although with the neutral connection it has an anticipator which allows it to switch on and off within a couple degrees of the set point, allowing a very rudimentary attempt at modulation.

The fact that your thermostat does not affect the boiler firing (assuming the programmer is calling for heat) indicates that there is a problem with the wiring, or a faulty programmer. Based on what you've said about the programmer switching the boiler on and off, I think the programmer is probably OK.

You need to get a heating engineer who understands controls wiring to have a look.

thank you for the explanation its kinda what some engineers attempted to outline to myself.

The issue has been resolved by 2 engineers, one ran a diagnostic and thought it could be a faulty zone valve or motor valve, 2nd engineer replaced it but did not test the thermostat but said should be all working fine and left in a hurry.

My boiler when its on or on timed and on now comes on, and if my thermostat is at say 21c setting once the home heats up to around 21c temp the boiler goes off, after 30-1hr if it gets cold again the boiler automatically comes on and repeats the same process.

I hope the above is right, either way the thermostat feels like its working, it just took several engineers and 10 years to repair it!

yep sounds like you have sorted your problem finally :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I will have to experiment like you said and...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
It's up to you how you wish to proceed but...
Replies
Views
Honeywell 6360b as you might not have a...
Replies
Views
Back