Room Vent for back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Room Vent for back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Stewart

Hi guys
I have just moved house and my new place has an old baxi back boiler system installed. The landlord has had BG come out and do the servicing on it but the engineer refused to touch it because there is no room ventilation. Now they left a quote for him and it is bloody expensive for just drilling a 4'' core in a wall and putting in the vent. BG is wanting £170 to do it. Now I get on well with my new landlord and I have offered to do it myself as I know for a fact I can do it for a lot less than BG plus I could probably do it a lot quicker then if we waited for them.

All I want to know is where can I get the vent kit from, I am looking to have it so any draught is reduced to a minimum I have installed the vents before but I have never sourced the parts to do one.

I know I will need 4'' duct, and external vent cover (preferably one of the ones that can be directed downwards), internal cover and baffels for inside the pipe.

Now what I want to know is can I stick the vent any where as long as it vents outside? I want to put it at low level in the corner behind my corner sofa. Is theres any sort of legal standard or can I just pick the spot and drill the hole.

go to your local plumbers merchants and buy a stadium vent kit there around £40 last time i bought one ,you need to no the size of the room and the kw of the appliance/s in the room also it as to be a minumim of 450mm from the floor

go to your local plumbers merchants and buy a stadium vent kit there around £40 last time i bought one ,you need to no the size of the room and the kw of the appliance/s in the room also it as to be a minumim of 450mm from the floor

sorry sparra 450mm from the floor is not a requirement for a vent to outside, an internal vent between rooms must be under 450mm from floor to minimise smoke circulation from fire, an external vent should be positioned so as not to be blocked outside by leaves or snow etc, but no size is specified, i kneel down and get comfy with the core cutter and that is the height i fit them at, to the OP a back boiler requires a specific sized vent, if you feel competant to check MI's then do so and it will tell you the combined vent for your boiler/fire combination, and when you buy the vent it will tell you to remove tab A for 50cm2, remove tabs A&B for 70cm2 and A, B & C for the full 100cm2, it wouldnt be a disaster to remove them all and be slightly over vented but you cannot be under

I have been told by the BG engineer that it has to be the full 100cm2 vent.

I will have a look for a stadium vent kit then

It may well be not a kick in the rear end off 100cm2. You need to consult the manufactures instructions. The vent size is in the fire MI's and depends on which boiler it is fitted to. Better slightly over than under.

I do not think I have ever came across a Baxi BBU that required the whole 100cm² ventilation (think they normally 80ish cm²) but as tamz said this will almost definitely be enough to cover the requirement.
If you are going to core it, put it at high level with vent slots up towards the ceiling. Less likely to feel draught this way.

I do not think I have ever came across a Baxi BBU that required the whole 100cm² ventilation (think they normally 80ish cm²) but as tamz said this will almost definitely be enough to cover the requirement.
If you are going to core it, put it at high level with vent slots up towards the ceiling. Less likely to feel draught this way.
i agree but its common to find a 125mm liner used as a duct so taking it to 100cm2,to the op you can get them here to http://www.****************/shop/Core+Drill+'Vario'+Vent/p86716
y
our landlords a mug using bg they will be telling him next they cant get parts for a bermuda

i'm sure the 552 and a couple of the fire fronts need nearly 100cm2
yes they do kirk the bigger output 552 and newer 57/3,4 etc do its mainly the lower output require 80 cm2 401,45/1,2 etc

never fitted a vent at high level as it contravenes H&S guidelines to ALWAYS do something as safely as possible, therefore i fit them at low level, who wants to core a wall on a pair of steps when you can kneel down and do it

never fitted a vent at high level as it contravenes H&S guidelines to ALWAYS do something as safely as possible, therefore i fit them at low level, who wants to core a wall on a pair of steps when you can kneel down and do it
Just because it is easier/safer does not make it right. I constantly remove tape from low vents and the reply is always the same. "could not stand that draught through at my feet". A high level vent takes the draught away and also makes it a bit less accessible for covering up.
As far as I am concerned high level vents are safer as they are less likely to be covered up.

have found empty 2L bottles of irn bru and bags in high level vents for the same reason

Not saying high level vents don't/can't be covered. Just that it less likely, so in my opinion the safer option, all for a little more effort. How many ladders have we all been up to drill a flue core? So climbing another ladder to drill a vent core-is it really that much trouble?

I love that comment "Just because its easier, safer does not make it right".
Im not agreeing or disagreeing as I have found both high and low level vents covered, blocked.

Just made me smile.

why has the boiler been fitted without adequate ventilation in the first place?.

also, cant you route it through living room door/hallway etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Back