Rotten wood holding bath tap | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rotten wood holding bath tap in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

It looks like that over time water has got under the seal of the bath tap and has rotted away at the wood that effectively holds the taps steady on the bath. Obviously the tap is no longer steady and water continues to get under the seal. The wood itself is sealed to the bath, I'm guessing with some form of adhesive.
You can see in the picture that plastic nut (?) appears corroded (it should be black like the one on the right) and it's sunk into the wood which is particularly rotten (see white area to left of the tap in question).
All advice and top tips to get a stable tap welcomed. Thanks.
20210111_115714.jpg

If you can reach the rotton wood, Isolate water supply take the tap out and nibble the wood away. Put a new piece in with a hole for the tap. Refit tap making sure you fit correctly and if necessary apply silicone under the base of the tap before pushing through hole. Remake joints. Water back on, sorted.

I have got over this problem by simply cutting a “large washer” from wallboard. I drilled a hole for the tap to pass though . If you don’t have enough space between the backnut and the tap connector (wallboard is 11mm thick) you could do the same with a thin metal plate

If you can reach the rotton wood, Isolate water supply take the tap out and nibble the wood away. Put a new piece in with a hole for the tap. Refit tap making sure you fit correctly and if necessary apply silicone under the base of the tap before pushing through hole. Remake joints. Water back on, sorted.
Thanks Moonlight. Much appreciated.

I have got over this problem by simply cutting a “large washer” from wallboard. I drilled a hole for the tap to pass though . If you don’t have enough space between the backnut and the tap connector (wallboard is 11mm thick) you could do the same with a thin metal plate
Ben-gee: builds on advice from moonlight. Gives me more confidence to crack on and get it sorted. Thanks.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Chrome disc Tops definitely unscrew,, Anti...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
You may find some orings that you can replace...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This site has a selection, including the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
Back