rumbling boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss rumbling boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pseudophreak

Hey guys, i thought I'd try you guys as i am having no luck with the engineer fixing it.

After my heating has been on for a while, it more often than not, starts make a loud rumbling noise (almost like the sound of a car idling.)
Turning the temperature setting up on the boiler up stops the noise but then usually the noise comes back after a while again. Running the hot water tap also temporarily stops the noise.

Running the hot water tap without the heating on can also cause the noise too happen after a few minutes.

Pressure is at around 1.2 and have bled the radiators.
Have had engineers out to look at it but, just my luck, the noise has never happened whilst they are there so are unable to diagnose it.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
P

You could record the noise, maybe with a phone or some other recording device, and get your plumber to listen to it. If you can create an audio file, and upload it to the net, you should be able to post a link on this site. Check it out with google for further details.

Or try running some descaler through the system, followed by flushing with water.

pseudophreak, Strange nick :), :welcome: to this forum bye-the-way :D

Now then a car idling sounds to me more mechanical than heat related, I've heard pumps make a strange knocking noise when they're an there way out? I could be wrong mind you but there you go!!!

It'd be nice to know what appliance we're talking about here if you don't mind :) Noise is usually mechanical or heat related IMHO. When the noise begins turn your thermostat to minimum, see if it goes away! That'd most likely make it heat related :)

p

Now then a car idling sounds to me more mechanical than heat related, I've heard pumps make a strange knocking noise when they're an there way out? I could be wrong mind you but there you go!!!

:)
I agree with diamondgas I,d go for the pump

Thanks for your replies guys.
The Boiler is a Riva Advance SE. i have uploaded a video: Boiler noise - YouTube
Video kicks off with the load noise straight away, then i turn the dial up for the temperature and the noise stops and then you can hear the normal boiler again.

i tried showing it to the engineer that came but he had no idea.

found this when doing a google search and sounds like the same problem: loud noise from BIASI riva advance HE - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for reply. I have isolated the noise...
Replies
Views
Yes that’s not normal best get an heating...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
No problem. Nice to be thanked and appreciated...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
As you radiators are working normally and...
Replies
Views
Back