Running central heating pipe past electrics? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Running central heating pipe past electrics? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

UK
Hi all

I need to run this CH pipework to a radiator located beyond the electric wiring in the image below.

Just to be safe I was wondering if there are any rules / distances, etc I need to be following when avoiding the wiring?

Many thanks. P

IMG_20240430_081156.jpg

There's some rule - like 25mm or so.

Just move the wiring and clip it as far away from the heating pipes as you can with at least a 25mm space.

You don't want a situation where the heating pipes melt the insulation around the electrical cable.

The rules are more applicable to the rating of the current carrying capacity of the pvc cables. The maximum current rating of a pvc cable is based on the copper conductor attaining a temperature of 70 degrees C. If your water pipe temperature is approaching 70 degrees then there's every likelihood that the cables will fail being in such close proximity. Ideally either the cables or pipes should be moved away from each others sphere of influence. If this cannot be done suggest you fit insulation over the pipework to minimise heat transference, DO NOT repeat DO NOT fit insulation over the cables as this will impair the cables ability to remain cool when carrying rated current.

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
I've never seen error codes displayed. Sorry...
Replies
Views
Back