Running central heating with no radiators | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Running central heating with no radiators in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ziggy

Folks,

I am about to replace all radiator valves in my system plus replacing 3 radiators that have pinholed. A few weeks back I had some system cleaner in for a few days and flushed out. Seeing that I have to drain the system and disconnect all radiators I want to see if I can get any more sludge out of the pipework as its an old system.

If I cap off all the flow and return pipework, is it safe to run the system (with some cleaner in it) with no radiators so I can do one more flush of just the pipework?

Ziggy

No because you wouldnt have a circuit then. If you want to do it leave 1 rad on, or link all the pipework when you take the rads off. Prob better cleaning with all your rads on tho

the rads complete the circuit take then out and you have nowhere for the water to flow from the the flow to the return pipework
shutting down rads will force the flow through the other rads so you can do that in a sequence that makes sure every pipe gets a good flow though it
just make sure your boiler temp is turned down so you dont trip the overheat out and have to reset it .

If I left one rad on or connected one flow pipe to a return pipe would it be best to do this on last rad in system i.e. would that ensure cleaner ran through all the pipework?

Better just leaving all rads on, that way all the pipework is being cleaned. Add cleaner and leave for about a week. Run heating as normal, then flush it a few times. Prob get best result that way

allybongo is right
by taking all rads except one off and trying to clean the system you are not getting any flow in the pipes splitting off to the missing rads.
you will just be cleaning the flow and return from that one rad to boiler and back
in reality that could be less than half your pipework depending where all the tees are in your system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old 3 story property with...
Replies
Views
Those pipes need to be further away from the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Back