Running soil pipe from loft to downstairs toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Running soil pipe from loft to downstairs toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

martinthompson

soil pipe plan copy.jpg
Hi...

I'm trying to run a soil pipe from our loft en-suite to 'T' into the upright soil pipe in our downstairs toilet. The overall horizontal distance is less than 6m - but there's obviously a big drop. Please see image above.

What's more... I'm coming out of the side wall of the house... then I've got to come down, (probably about 10 feet) and horizontally (1 in 40)across the front of our extention at 90 degrees, before doing another 90 degree turn to take the pipe through the wall of the downstairs toilet.

Is this crazy?... My biggest concern is that I've got to drop and then come across again. Can you do this, or is it against building regs? Will it cause a blockage at the bend?

I'm trying to avoid using a mascerator - and I know I've got gravity on my side - but the journey is not a simple one!

Any suggestions/feedback would be welcome please!

hi there can you not put a drain to the left side of your front door , got to be less agro than running soil pipe through house

View attachment 11961
Hi...

I'm trying to run a soil pipe from our loft en-suite to 'T' into the upright soil pipe in our downstairs toilet. The overall horizontal distance is less than 6m - but there's obviously a big drop. Please see image above.

What's more... I'm coming out of the side wall of the house... then I've got to come down, (probably about 10 feet) and horizontally (1 in 40)across the front of our extention at 90 degrees, before doing another 90 degree turn to take the pipe through the wall of the downstairs toilet.

Is this crazy?... My biggest concern is that I've got to drop and then come across again. Can you do this, or is it against building regs? Will it cause a blockage at the bend?

I'm trying to avoid using a mascerator - and I know I've got gravity on my side - but the journey is not a simple one!

Any suggestions/feedback would be welcome please!

Hi - I wouldn't know where to start! Thought I might be able to run the waste myself. It wouldn't be going through the house though - just down and along two walls, and into the downstairs toilet. Do you think this is possible?

Possible yes, an eyesore also.

If you've got a big drop then an elbow your going to lose the natural flow as your poo falls down the pipe it will splat into the bottom of the elbow rather than flow through a long radius swept bend.
Someone will be along shortly to speak much more technically

If you've got a big drop then an elbow your going to lose the natural flow as your poo falls down the pipe it will splat into the bottom of the elbow rather than flow through a long radius swept bend.
Someone will be along shortly to speak much more technically

No that's great... are you suggesting using a 'long radius swept bend'? (what is that exactly?) :)

hi there just put a new drain in outside to run straight up wall between front door and proposed exit of new on suite . what your propsing would be a big eye sore , think you need proffesional advice

You want a new drain by the front door as suggested.

Btw, what software did you use for the house diagram? It looks good.

As said you'd be much better with a new stack specifically cor the new bathroom, you sour need to determine which way the foul drains run on your property first and then add a new manhole where you connect into them, you will need to use a rest bend at the bottom of the stack. The new works would need inspecting by building control as well

You want a new drain by the front door as suggested.

Btw, what software did you use for the house diagram? It looks good.

Thanks for the advice - the program is 'Google Sketchup' which is free to download and very easy to use.

As said you'd be much better with a new stack specifically cor the new bathroom, you sour need to determine which way the foul drains run on your property first and then add a new manhole where you connect into them, you will need to use a rest bend at the bottom of the stack. The new works would need inspecting by building control as well

Thank you. I'm not sure I can afford the building work. Has anyone got an idea (ball-park figure) what the cost would be of getting a man-hole and rest bend put in? I would do any over-ground work myself.

Incidentally - I was planning to box in the lower part (across the extension) by building a low-level shed for our bikes. Would this not slove the 'ugly' problem?

Whether its ugly or not doesn't really matter as your the one who will live with it. Having a man hole and being cut into the ground drainage wouldn't be that bad, take a man that know's what he's doing a day as the drainage must be underground out there somewhere as it picks up the cloakroom (i'm assuming it does without obviously seeing the job).

If you go the digging route don't forget building regs. I would definitely dig and have a new drain in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Sorry for the late post on this but just...
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
Cheers oz-plumber, good advice. I've ordered...
Replies
Views
Back