Safe to switch off combiboilers electric supply | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Safe to switch off combiboilers electric supply in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joefromhere

Need some plumbing advice.

I have a broken hot water tap and I need to go away until after the weekend.

The simplest thing is to turn off the electric supply to my combi boiler and turn off the water supply. Then after the weekend I can get a plumber. But I'm scared this might be dangerous - leaking gas etc.

Is it dangerous to switch off the electric and turn off the water at the water main and leave it for a few days?

The boiler is a Combi 30 HE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes this will be fine, boilers have to be designed to be safe when there is a power/water cut etc, the only time you shouldnt really switch it off is when its freezing outside as the boiler might need to fire itself up on the frost stat too stop itself from freezing,I dont think we are in for any freezing temps this week end so just do it.

.....Just another thought.

Its not likely to freeze this week end. But what would happen if it did and the electric was switched off and the water was off at the mains? (the boiler is in the kitchen.) :(

then the water would freeze and lead to burst pipes because of the ice expanding in the pipes breaking joints/bursting pipes etc.

I would just turn off your mains water, and leave the boiler on just incase the temp drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Do I switch off Electric Hot Heater Cylinder...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
Are you controlling the stove flow temperature...
Replies
Views
Back