Sealed system on a open flue boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sealed system on a open flue boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizme

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Can an open vented heating sytem be converted to a sealed system by adding an expansion vessel on a open flue boiler. As the boiler does not have a over run heat stat. Will this be right. Any advice would really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the boiler and the quality of pipes and rads.
Risky to diy.

Check the manufacturers instructions, it'll let you know whether it can be installed on a sealed system or not! What is the make and model of the boiler?
As 'bengasman' says, the system has to be taken into consideration also. The older the system the less likely it'll enjoy being put under additional pressure!

as both above what boiler is it?it must have a high limit stat

Alot of boilers had a separate kit to convert them to run unvented.

im sure there was a kit for kingfishers if its still available who knows usually they were ahigh limit stat that interupted the thermocouple remember it needs a prv as well as a vessel
pump over run isnt needed

What if one come's across this on a Landlord check, would this be classified as AR or NCS

id if no high limit stat fitted

Its AR if no PRV is fitted but has an overheat stat, and NCS if it has a PRV but no overheat stat. Any appliance not designed to be installed on a sealed system is AR

Its AR if no PRV is fitted but has an overheat stat, and NCS if it has a PRV but no overheat stat. Any appliance not designed to be installed on a sealed system is AR

i look at this very simply if no high limit stat that boiler will run dry before the boiler thermostat kicks in,so run out of water you have a potential bomb on your hands i stick by what i said its ID

Well regulations classify it otherwise. Even by what you are saying its AR not ID. There is a risk of it causing harm, its not actually causing any harm at the moment. It is definately not ID if its working as normal with just a risk of danger in a certain set of circumstances.

Well regulations classify it otherwise. Even by what you are saying its AR not ID. There is a risk of it causing harm, its not actually causing any harm at the moment. It is definately not ID if its working as normal with just a risk of danger in a certain set of circumstances.
ar or id its going off anyway

1983 I think it was. I went to house on an emergency. They said there was steam coming from the boiler. When I got there I found a Potterton Neataheat spewing out steam, as the heat exchanger was split right down the middle, still firing away like a good un. The installer had failed to put the thermostat phial in. My point is, a thermostat will kick in if its in the right place. High limit or not. Hence not ID. ID if left with no stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Fair point. There is a dearth of heating...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
It doesn't have a thermostat and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Back