Second hand gas fire. | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Second hand gas fire. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fogarty

I work with a bloke who's currently doing his gas training. A relative of his had their gas fire replaced and he's claimed it saying he's going to repair it and fit it elsewhere. I was under the impression you can't fit second hand gas appliances but he says as long as its commissioned fully then it's legal. Whose right ?

I work with a bloke who's currently doing his gas training. A relative of his had their gas fire replaced and he's claimed it saying he's going to repair it and fit it elsewhere. I was under the impression you can't fit second hand gas appliances but he says as long as its commissioned fully then it's legal. Whose right ?

I wouldn't do it personally but I'm not 100% on the legalities of it though, although I'd imagine its not legal.

I bet he hasn't got the MI's either, which would make it illegal then.

I thought you could install, as long as you had the MI and commissioned it fully?

You are probably right mate. Personally for me its a no no though. I just wouldn't want the hassle if I'm honest.

thats the sort of attitude from a newbie who will probably charge a tenner to install it too!!,imo

Personally I wouldn't touch it. He'd have to offer some kind of warranty and I wouldn't think there would be much interest other than a dodgy landlord but he sees it as easy money.

if its in good working order, is fitted to the manufacturers instructions and to current standards there is no problem. many old fires are build alot better then the tinny carp about now.

It's all down to having confidence and ability to fit the thing properly, we know the regs and we know you need to have the MI's etc, and if you know what you are doing with the fire it isn't a hard job, not sure about "having" to supply a warranty, if you fit second hand and the customer knows its second hand you could include in the paperwork that there is no warranty on the integrity of the appliance, and it is fitted on a best endeavour basis, this shouldn't alarm anyone, I would fully and properly inspect the full appliance and would fit it if I was happy with it

must carry a CE mark to be fitted 2nd hand as well as having mi,s and data plate, but mis are on the net so not an issue normally

If its sold on as second hand then the sales of goods and services act 1982 kicks in. Therefore it will be required to be checked for safety with appropriate test certificate and full manufacturer instructions before being released.

i would have no problem fitting second hand stuff it still has to meet all the tests and be in good working order so no difference realy most people take the cooker when they move

i would have no problem fitting second hand stuff it still has to meet all the tests and be in good working order so no difference realy most people take the cooker when they move

But be carefull they have not bought it second hand off the local rag and bone man with no safety certificate.

If its sold on as second hand then the sales of goods and services act 1982 kicks in. Therefore it will be required to be checked for safety with appropriate test certificate and full manufacturer instructions before being released.
this is a new one for me, the manufacturers instructions ok,
but how does this test certificate work?
issued by who? the manufacturer? the installer? some other body?
does this in theory make the fitting of any second hand appliance that has been purchased a no go?

The following points are from the sale of 2nd hand gas appliances, under the consumer protection act

(a) Ensure that there are no gas leaks
(b) Ensure that all manual or automatic igniters are working correctly;

(c) Ensure that any safety shut-offs are working correctly;

(d) Ensure that all accessible parts are free from sharp edges;

(e) The appliance should be of sound construction

(f) Ensure that controls are legible and working correctly;

(g) Ensure that appropriate instruction for use are supplied with the appliance;

(h) Ensure that any fireguard complies with the fireguard regulations;

(i) Inform potential purchasers of the need for a suitably competent person to install the
appliance.

The following points are from the sale of 2nd hand gas appliances, under the consumer protection act

(a) Ensure that there are no gas leaks
(b) Ensure that all manual or automatic igniters are working correctly;

(c) Ensure that any safety shut-offs are working correctly;
(d) Ensure that all accessible parts are free from sharp edges;
(e) The appliance should be of sound construction
(f) Ensure that controls are legible and working correctly;
(g) Ensure that appropriate instruction for use are supplied with the appliance;
(h) Ensure that any fireguard complies with the fireguard regulations;
(i) Inform potential purchasers of the need for a suitably competent person to install the
appliance.

I don't do domestic or fit gas fires but if I did I'd be checking all the above on any fire, new or existing.

Last edited:
I don't do domestic or fit gas fires but if I did I'd be checking all the above on any fire, new or existing.

If your fitting it, yes. But this relates to selling it. ie: is it fit for purpose?

Last yeari removed a one year old Baxi Solo and fitted a new combi as the new owner was renting it out and wanted it this way. I was tempted to fit the Baxi in my mates house cos he was really struggling financially and it would have really helped him out, i didnt fit it in the end but still wrestle with the thought that i could have helped him when he needed it.

2nd hand Baxi solo HE? Why not fit it if you can be sure it is fit for purpose?

i knew it was a year old and that was it....i didnt fit it and i didnt know its brief history. If i had all the facts then i might have fitted it, but there is always a nagging thought of "what if"with a gas appliance ......better safe and all that! with a new boiler there is always the manufacturers guarantees, but with a used item the mud stops with me as i would assume responsibility........better in the red than dead.....dont ya think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You could try greasing the spindle of the gas...
Replies
Views
I think he hadn’t used the fire for a long...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Got a response from Gas Safe Register, I think...
Replies
Views
Back