Secondary circulation not working | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Secondary circulation not working in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

V

vetinry

Morning

We've just about got the new ecocent cylinder installed and the pipework adjusted and it all seems to be working really well with the exception of the secondary circulation.

I can understand how it works on a gravity system, but not on a pressurised system.

The house was originally plumbed with 22mm pipework to all of the hot water points, and a 15mm return from each of these. We've simply taken the bronze pump out of its original location, and moved it next to the ecocent which is in the garage. After the pump, there is a one way valve and then the 15mm pipe is teed back into the 22mm cold water fill at the bottom of the cylinder.

The pump has been running all night but when I went to check this morning, there was still no hot water passing through it.

Any thoughts as to why it might not be working?

The pump is now installed vertically, whereas previously it was horizontal.
I read last night that it might be having difficulty opening the one way valve
Is it incorrect to tee it back into the mains supply into the cylinder?

Steve

Lots of megaflos have secondary return plumbed this way (using a swept tee).
Is the pump pumping in the right direction?
Is the check valve the right way round?

I'm not familiar with the ecocent so might help to give manufacturer a call

Also check the check valve hasn't got its self stuck closed. Now the pump is closer it may have jammed it shut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve .......... ya doi'n well on getting your system sorted .... :) Did the cylinder not have its own secondary return connection? ... Anyhoo's ... Basics is that you have a loop circuit going past all the hot water outlets to reduce waste and deadlegs, none return stops cold water being drawn rather than hot! ... You've got a knackered pump, none return valve round the wrong way or a blockage ... IMO

Thanks everyone
I got home last night and there now appears to be hot water circulating around the house. Didn't see Ryan and so no idea if he had to change something or whether it just started working by itself.
Steve - I know that the tank has a secondary coil but other than that and temperature sensor / pressure outlets, I don't think there were any other spare inlets for the secondary circulation.
The temperature at the bottom of the cylinder (shown on the display of the ecocent) was about 42 degrees, whereas it should be 50 degrees, and I don't want the air source pump to be working all the time, just to circulate hot water. So tonights job is to wire in a time controller because the bronze pump is just running constantly at the minute.
Cheers
Steve

How would you set up the timer. I'd like to match it to when we're going to be using the hot water.

What is the best way to set up the timer? Is it better to have the pump spin the water around every hour or so for a few minutes, or have it running constantly for a couple of hours morning and night to co-incide with when we're most likely to need it?

I'm guessing from how long it takes to get hot water in the furthest taps without the secondary circulation turned on, that approx double this time is long enough to flush the pipes with hot water?

The old timer was mechanical and was broken, but the good thing was that it had a 24 hour clock with little "fingers" which each represented about 15 mins.

I purchased a honey single channel timer which is easy to set up but only allows a maximum of 6 actions per day (3 on / 3 off).

Depending on the best method of operation, are there any electronic timers with a higher degree of control?

Many thanks

Steve

Fantastic
I shall get the honeywell wired up tonight.

Next job is to fix 6" ducting from the main bathroom to the cylinder to make the most of the latent energy in moist air.

And then I'm going to start measuring how much energy the ecocent is using and work out how much I'm saving versus oil

Cheers

Steve

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That will be fine then no air problems 👍
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Well the happy price is just over 11k for...
Replies
Views
Back