Service/isolating valve for outside tap -- need advice | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Service/isolating valve for outside tap -- need advice in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and brass compression fittings throughout. It's all working well except...

I added a new outside tap, which I joined to the end of the new run of cold pipe via a double check valve to make sure of compliance. The DCV I picked was a grey plastic push-fit with a built-in drain valve. It was quite expensive and described as "suitable for outside pipework", but it failed in last night's frost. I had to remove the DCV this morning and put a cap on the end of the cold pipe. This was very annoying indeed, although it didn't affect the shower and sink, which are upstream of the DCV.

I need a DCV and a drainoff to take the place of the grey plastic one. I guess an isolation or a service valve would be a good addition, too, in case the outside tap gives me grief.

A well-known builders merchant sold me a brass DCV with built-in drainoff for £8 this morning. It looks OK, but if someone is aware of a DCV/isolator/drainoff combo I'd gladly pay through the nose for it. Any thoughts about using brass DCVs outside? I'd be perfectly happy putting, say, a brass compression 'T' out in the cold, but I don't know how durable the plastic mechanism of a DCV is.

Best, NP

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you all for the responses, exactly the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Kop
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you, have corrected this now. My husband...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No
Replies
Views
  • Question
Joint compound. Brilliant, Thanks Shaun.
Replies
Views
Back