service valves in central heating system | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss service valves in central heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to isolate the heating system at one end of the house and have fitted two service valves into the 15mm flow and return, just wondering if this is ok. There are 4 rads that are isolated. The valves restrict the flow a bit but will this be a problem when the valves are opened again to switch the rads back on? What I'm really asking is if it's strictly necessary to use the lever type valves which keep a 15mm bore when open? Thanks AJ

I want to isolate the heating system at one end of the house and have fitted two service valves into the 15mm flow and return, just wondering if this is ok. There are 4 rads that are isolated. The valves restrict the flow a bit but will this be a problem when the valves are opened again to switch the rads back on? What I'm really asking is if it's strictly necessary to use the lever type valves which keep a 15mm bore when open? Thanks AJ

i have done this a few times, although sometimes frowned upon but hey, if you have too and it makes sense!.
it is no different than micro bore, but after a while they may block up the ball valve. just use ordinary iso's there neater.

I've done it once, a few years ago when I was a diyer.

Its not really the thing to do but if you must do it then use full bore as you dont want that bottleneck 'balancing' your system for you and encouraging the water to turn round and heat another rad instead.

If depends on the size and layout of the system though.

ok thanks, I guess what I could do is to replace the service vales with compression straight connectors once the work is completed on the isolated section then there surely wouldn't be any probs with restricting the flow??

AJ

the only problem being compression straight connectors are shorter than iso valves.

nice one, I just found them on the Toolstation website.
AJ

BOFs look better still, Screwfix have them I see.
Cheers for that

Last edited:
that's right it was the repair connectors I saw on TS, the full bore valves are a Screwfix

Screwfix have the full bore valves

Last edited:
i used to do this but most of the ballofix valves you get now are so poor quality i found they will start leak from the screw in a short time so best to use gate valves
i still dont leave them on if they are going to be inaccesable under laminate or similar

well spotted thanks

good point. Are gate valves say from Toolstation or Screwfix gauranteed to be any better than a full bore valve?

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy fittings from screwfix, I've seen whole bags of fittings that have not been totally deburred, copper fittings that will not fit on copper pipe, etc. Buy from a plumbing yard, the ball-o-fixs I use have no problems and are more expensive than those sold by on-line companies, not by much, but are better in quality. Use the fullbore ones, just give the slots a few turn before connecting.

I got some full bore valves with wing nut type handles on from PTS this morning, the quality looks good. Thanks for all your comments. AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
Thanks All. After much persuasion the...
Replies
Views
Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back