Servicing boilers getting easier? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Servicing boilers getting easier? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

Hi all, just curious whether you guys think servicing modern high efficiency boilers is getting easier but more complex, or servicing the traditional boilers is easier? The way I understand it is there's not much adjustments can be made on modern boilers, some even have diagnostic software, also plug an analyzer in and it tells you most things. While in the traditional boilers there are a lot of tweaks can be made to optimise the boilers. Just like servicing modern car nowadays, plug a computer in and it tells you everything. This probably make life easier but can also be very complex. Are boilers getting this way? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say modern high efficiency boilers are definitely more complex when compared to the older standard efficiency or even older back boilers.

Fault finding on the older boilers isn't too difficult due to their simple design and small number of components. On modern boilers, you've got more parts and components that need testing, which make things more difficult. I suppose the fault codes given by some boilers are good for giving you an idea of what the problem is.

In terms of servicing, I think modern boilers are easier to service as newer components such as heat exchangers/burners don't need cleaning as much like they do on the older models.

I think boilers are definitely going the way of cars, pretty soon we may even have to buy a computer that plugs in to tell us the fault, similar to cars.

I would imagine sooner or later the components will be modulated and becomes plug and play. Components nowadays can't be tampered with and the error codes probably end up telling us what to swap. This will definitely make our life easier but will it also make us more redundant?

you have to adjust modern boilers more with regard to co/co2 to make them more efficient just like car engine

you need an analyser and can plug in your laptop
imo

modern boilers are far too complex and servicing is getting harder imo

too many small fiddley parts, to fine tolerances, too expensive, too many parts

bring back the 552!!!

servicing a 552 tomorrow more to check but a much simpler boiler

I wish it were possible to bring back a simple boiler like the 552, any gas savings you make with these modern condensers is lost the moment you need a fan or pcb, shorter service life, etc. and they call it progress!

i remember my first car a very tired maestro it rusted badly but every mechanical part on the car could be fixed with spanners and a big hammer,my fairly modern car a rover 75 is far,far better built but requires a computer to repair most of its parts however its never broken down in 4 years of owning it if only boilers were like this

i remember my first car a very tired maestro it rusted badly but every mechanical part on the car could be fixed with spanners and a big hammer,my fairly modern car a rover 75 is far,far better built but requires a computer to repair most of its parts however its never broken down in 4 years of owning it if only boilers were like this

Lol. Reminds me of my old mans last car

I would forget how to work. So you would have to plug a computer in and reprogram the computer so it knew what to do

But his series 3 Landy. If it don't work with a lump hammer. Get a sledge hammer!

happy days 552/551 could strip one down blind folded,like a soldier with a gun in the films,
no messing with fga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The boiler is just responding by limiting the...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
As you radiators are working normally and...
Replies
Views
Back