Sewage coming up shower drain! | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sewage coming up shower drain! in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

I've just moved into a house a few months ago, built around 2005. One of the toilets upstairs had a very weak flush so I raised the level of water in the cistern and to my horror a small amount of dirty water/sewrage came up through the shower drain.

I think it's been a problem all along with this bathroom. Its not completely finished and I don't think it was being used by the previous owners.

Could anyone give any insight into how this is happening and how big a job this will be to fix?

You'll need to get photos of where the WC soil pipe goes and where the shower waste pipe joins in and post them.

It's possible there's a blockage in the soil pipe below where the shower is connected and the WC outflow is backing up or the shower waste pipe has been put in in such a way the WC outflow is running in to it.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've taken some photos of the bathroom and outside, it would be great to hear if anyone has any ideas of what's going on.

The bathroom is directly above the backdoor, small roof light is the bathroom.

Attachments

• 20210207_123513.jpg
    20210207_123513.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210207_123115.jpg
    20210207_123115.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210207_123120.jpg
    20210207_123120.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210207_123125.jpg
    20210207_123125.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0
Ok, first and easiest, I would check that manhole near the back door, it would appear that the soil pipe runs by back door, then internally. After that it’s seek it out.

Upvote 0
Ok, first and easiest, I would check that manhole near the back door, it would appear that the soil pipe runs by back door, then internally. After that it’s seek it out.
We actually had the outdoor lines flushed recently when the septic tanks were emptied but I'll see if we can get someone in to take a look at the rest of the pipes for a blockage.

Just thinking the worst, if the pipes have been put in incorrectly what's involved in correcting them? Ripping up floors, walls, ceiling?

Upvote 0
As the chaps have mentioned it could be as simple as blockage somewhere ? is this the only drainage issue? does waste water drain from other areas of the property? Also you would expect to see the soil pipe vented externally at some point ? Is this the case

Upvote 0
As the chaps have mentioned it could be as simple as blockage somewhere ? is this the only drainage issue? does waste water drain from other areas of the property? Also you would expect to see the soil pipe vented externally at some point ? Is this the case
I think I'm just finding it very suspicious that the bathroom was unfinished/unused so seeing this I'm wondering if that's the reason. There's been a couple of strange things with the plumbing so fearing it was a botch job!

Upvote 0
There's been a couple of strange things with the plumbing, the septic pump electrics are dodgy, there are copper stains from the water in all the sinks and none of the toilets flush well.

Also this bathroom is unused/unfinished so I'm suspicious that this is the reason.

Where should I look for the vent? Is it possible it's in the attic above or the crawl space of the dormer roof?

Upvote 0
That's quite possible you may come across what we call a air admittance valve attached to the 110mm pipe at the highest point ? which can become stuck? a open vent to atmosphere or a tile vent would always work better ? Kop

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes very hot water it can dissolve soap scum...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I can't believe some of this advice 🫣 whats...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You cannot get a repair kit for Mira8 anymore...
Replies
Views
Back