Sewer gas - help and smoke test! | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter biggar
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 8K

Discuss Sewer gas - help and smoke test! in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

biggar

Hello all,
1st post so go easy! For about 7 days I've being experiencing what appears to be a sewer gas smell in the vicinity of my utility room (where boiler and washing machine are) and the nathroom which is adjacent. Gut feeling is that the smell originates in the utility room area but not 100% sure on that. First seemed to smell it after I turned off the boiler but think that is a coincidence.

Last night I poured some bleach and hot water down the pipe from which the washing machine hose sits. That pipe goes down into what looks like a P trap (I'm no expert!). Anyway the smell is still there today. Could this sort of things be down to a vent isse with the stacks that exits from the attic at the back of the house?

Have done a bit of research and read a lot about a smoke test that can help identify sources of where the sewer gas may be entering. As a result I think I'd like one done. Just a bit worried though that local plumbers (Pembrokeshire) won't have such a bit of kit. Is this something that just the larger firms tend to have? Any advice on that and the sewer gas issue would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gareth

Read more: Sewer gas smell - smoke test - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement

Err! Not so easy to answer. If the drains are plastic, smoke testing can damage them. If they are clay its usually okay.

Just open drain line inspection chamber and place a small smoke bomb in. They look like a large firework. I suppose you could try a gas fitters smoke tablet that they use them for flue testing. There is of course a professional smoke machine you can get, but that costs quite a lot of money.

If the smoke tends to wander off up other branches in the system, close them off with drain stoppers or a poly bag filled with straw or old rags. If it comes out in the utility room my guess would be you are loosing water seals somewhere. Possibly on the gully the wastes discharge into. They could be being blown out which usually means a blockage or syphoned out usually means bad design. If it has been okay for years then it is possibly just a blockage somewhere.

If your on mains gas call them out NOW its free and the safest way on . If not then ventilate the
offending room - but do not ignore the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
How’s the seal on the pan connector? had it...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Not the real answer, but worth putting in a...
Replies
Views
F
On stub stacks ive never known a builder to...
Replies
Views
Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back