Shared Soil pipe leaking | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shared Soil pipe leaking in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

damageddaddy

Hi All
We share an internal soil stack with the house next door, the stack runs inside their property which is leaking badly (our wall is now damp and black) and water is running down the inside of theirs, they have had a plumber out several times and all he has done is slap mastic over the hole, (he told me he didn't want to replace the stack) each time he did this neither of us could use our bathroom for several hours after. Can anyone tell me how big a job it is and how long approximately it should take to do and approximately how much it should cost?. As we spent a great deal of money refurbing our property we are understandably miffed at the state of the wall which we will have to dry out and repair. All advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

Pipe could easily have a rubber band seal put around it. Used for connecting cast iron to plastic. But would be fine for plastic to plastic. About £20 for Band seal and an hours work. hope this helps ;0) good luck.

If you could post some pics of the place where it's leaking from, (i know, easier said than done as it's next door). Only reason i ask is because you might not need to replace the whole thing.

Can't get next door but I have seen it, it is leaking from a cracked inlet stab where their sink/bath used to go in, the plumber concerned moved the entry point and slapped all the gue and I hasten to add shed loads of Denso tape round it. hope this helps.

best solution is to cut out the defective section and slip in a length of pipe using either timesaver or fernco couplings
from what youve said i would imagine a section of boxing will need to be removed as well at least a £200 job without any boxing/making good that need doing

Steve
The job you suggest is not possible as we have a 4 way branch for the toilets on top of a 4 way branch for the sink/bath wastes.

you'll need to replace the 4 way branch, sounds like an arwkard job and 'maybe' thats way the original plumber didn't want to do it.

As for how much, well i couldn't tell you without looking at the job, but what Stevetheplumber said sound about right.

Steve
The job you suggest is not possible as we have a 4 way branch for the toilets on top of a 4 way branch for the sink/bath wastes.

when you say it's not possable, why's that? Is it because there's not enought room?

I'm, beginning to think that a picture of the configuration might be the best thing here as to advise you properly. Sorry mate i know that awkward, it's just that i don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Davinder
Yes the toilet branch is directly on top of the waste branch, I suppose the sink waste branch could be move lower to allow for a pipe stub between the two?

If i were you, I'd call the plumber back and ask for a quote to fix the problem (by replacing the cracked section of pipe).

Maybe you and you neighbour could split the cost between you as it's affecting both of you?

Davinder
I think I have attached a sketch as I can't get a picture. Soil pipe.jpg

Oh i see now.....

What you need to do is cut the 4' pipe below the fitting that has a crack in it, and replace (reconnecting using a slip-on collar)

I know what you are saying but both fittings are virtually butted together so i may have to replace both of them, or try and get the damn plumber to........... Thanks for the help.

if you live in the severn trent area, it has now become there property as it is a shared drainage stack?.
otherwise get onto your insurance company and make a claim on your neighbour for dammage by neglect. the whole cast section is failing and will eventially break up.imo

I know what you are saying but both fittings are virtually butted together so i may have to replace both of them, or try and get the damn plumber to........... Thanks for the help.

If the bottom fitting uses a rubber seal then it'll pull off, and you can leave the other where it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
D
oops I didn’t read it properly.
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
https://www.pipekit.co.uk/marley-hdpe-concentri...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back