Shared water supply, installing individual supply (legal) | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shared water supply, installing individual supply (legal) in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

L

laike

dear plumbing experts,

as the title suggests i presently have a shared water supply to my leasehold flat, shared with 1 other flat directly below by a straight vertical supply pipe from the ground to the 2 flats run within boxing on the inside corner of both flats, accessible by vents.

i have received a quote from thames water and they are able to install a new supply to the edge of the property to be connected to my flat.

here are the relevant sections of my lease:

THE FIFTH SCHEDULE above referred to
Rights and easements granted to the Lessee

2. The right of free passage and running of air Water soil gas and electricity television and
telephone signals or impulses or other services through the ventilators sewers drains
pipes Wiles cables and conduits and other services and conducting media which are now
or may at any time hereafter be in or under or upon any part of the Estate for the service
of the demised premises together with all easements rights and privileges proper for
repairing maintaining and reinstating the same subject to the rights reserved by the Sixth
Schedule hereto

THE SIXTH SCHEDULE above referred to

The right to the Lessor its servants or agents and the owners or occupiers of the other
flats their servants or agents at all reasonable times with or Without Workmen and Others
as often as need or occasion shall require to have access to and enter the demised
premises and remain therein for such reasonable time as is necessary for the purpose of
executing repairs renewals alterations and improvements to any part of the Estate or to
any ventilators sewers drains pipes wires cables and conduits and other services and
conducting media serving any part of the Estate which cannot otherwise be executed and
of complying with their respective obligations either hereunder or under any covenants
relating to any other flat the person exercising such rights making good forthwith
damage caused by such entry such right not to be so exercised unless reasonable written
notice has previously been given to the Lessee except in case of emergency

questions:

1. can the council (freeholder) refuse my going forth with these works? i have written them but they are giving serious delays in authorising permission. do i even need permission when i clearly have the right as written in my lease?

2. what steps must i take with respect to the shared pipe / other flat? can i simply install my new pipe and disconnect from the old one / cap it off? do i need to give them notice for anything?

3. is it recommended to consult a solicitor for this? i've gotten this far, is it really necessary?

thanks for your assistance,

Welcome along.

You have rights to perform this work. If you get little or no response from the FH go to the citizens advice bureau first and then to a solicitor.

If you are disconnecting from the other supply you must ensure that they are no left with a dead leg. Probably a simple case of disconnecting your leg from a t within their flat.

Hi - I have read your post carefully - its good to see an unusual post.

We might all be able to learn from the outcome...........thus..I have a few questions for you
to reply to

1. Why ? do you want a seperate supply ?
2. Every houshold is legally entitled to a 'wholesome supply' do you consider
that your supply is compromised..why ?
3. or is it a pressure/volume issue - ie is your shower/combi is mis- performing ?

be aware there are huge ongoing issues in the London area re water pressure
(-quality is uck !) but pressure is a massive problem.

Post your reply here and we can all see what your up to -

water law is an amazing area - My Mrs is an expert legal on it -thats how i
met her as i am a water engineer...............centralheatking

static pressure 1.4 bar at about 6.5 L / min at the kitchen tap. Reducing to around 1 bar and 5 L / min dynamic pressure.I believe the piping system is just too old (50 years) and could use a new 32 mm plastic supply. Am attempting to renew the entire system internally, including removing the old gravity storage tank, and installing central heating. The property has a combi boiler though there is barely enough service for it to perform properly. this job is based in dalston london. Please get in touch if you are interested, have certification to work on a council flat, and experience in this field.

Back