Should i fix my 7yr old boiler or buy a new one? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Should i fix my 7yr old boiler or buy a new one? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajsoad

hi all. ive got worcester 28i junior boiler that is 7 yrs old and its developed a fault which is probably a pcb fault. cheapest call out i could get was £240 with npower that covers up to £600.
so my question is is it worth me fixing my boiler or better investing in a new one.

here is a description of what ive currently got my boiler connected up to. my house has 4 floors and the boiler is in the basement where the old bathroom is. ive got 4 rads in the basement, 2 rads on the first floor and 3 rads on the second floor. in the old bathroom ive got an eletric shower and sink. the kitchen is on the first floor where ive only got a sink, no dishwasher etc. im also in the middle of changing the box room on the second floor into a bathroom which will have a sink, bath and mixer shower. at the moment i was only using the boiler for hot water as i hardly used the central heating but due to the new bathroom it will get used a bit more because of the shower and bath. what should i do? thanx

i would probably invest in a new boiler, i have always told my customers that one you start paying out for repairs on boilers you will most likely be spending money until its beyond repair, if you think your new bathroom will be working harder opt for a bigger boiler to get a better hot water flow rate, maybe a 35kw to get 14ltr/min dhw, the heating would run at 29 kw. i would also be worth a bigger boiler if your hot water has to travel from the basement to the second flow.

Get an engineer out that can change the PCB for you or a Worcester fixed price repair.

What makes you think it's the board?

i would probably invest in a new boiler, i have always told my customers that one you start paying out for repairs on boilers you will most likely be spending money until its beyond repair, if you think your new bathroom will be working harder opt for a bigger boiler to get a better hot water flow rate, maybe a 35kw to get 14ltr/min dhw, the heating would run at 29 kw. i would also be worth a bigger boiler if your hot water has to travel from the basement to the second flow.

I dont agree with that at all, any boiler could have a fan need replacing or something and then work perfectly for years to come. Just because its broken once, it doesn't mean its going to break over and over again.

Id get Worcester out for a fixed fee they will change anything thats wrong and cover the rest of the boiler for a year

Id get Worcester out for a fixed fee they will change anything thats wrong and cover the rest of the boiler for a year

How do you know it's the pcb Destroyer?

If you've got money to burn then go ahead and replace it. However what if the problem is just a £20 sensor & not the PCB?

well it first had a fault of when i turned the hot water on it kept shutting off the igniting again and kept repeating that and the light was slowly flashing. i went for about 4 months without using the boiler so i had it switched off at the wall and now when ive come to check it the light is flashing quite fast and the boiler keaps igniting and switching off all the time even though the hot water or central heating isnt on.
i did give worcester a call amd they wanted nearly £400 to come out and repair it which is way to expensive

Only baasing it on what was already suggested diamond gas, the speed of the flashes indicates the fault int he worcesters i belive if u look in the manuel

Only baasing it on what was already suggested diamond gas, the speed of the flashes indicates the fault int he worcesters i belive if u look in the manuel

sorry mate I tottaly missquoted the post, for some rason I thought you were the op! *bows*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You got your colours muddled. The black needle...
Replies
Views
I am only telling you what I have seen. I...
Replies
Views
I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
That's what I was hoping, looks like a good...
Replies
Views
Back