Should I insulate vent pipes in loft (from DHW cylinder and central heating) | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Should I insulate vent pipes in loft (from DHW cylinder and central heating) in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft.

The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold water tank is 22mm. The one going to the F+E tank is 28mm.

I didn't insulate them because...

1. The water has to rise from the airing cupboard into the loft, UP the pipes until the very end where the pipes bend down through the tank lids. As such, water can never be sat in the pipes can it? And if so, it cannot freeze if not sat in it.

2. If both are used for excess, steam, expansion etc, then won't any water travelling through always be hot?

Or have I missed something? If anyone could confirm whether they need insulating or not that would be great.

Many thanks

There will always be water in them up to the level of the water in the associated tank that they are connected to - water finds its own level and all open ended components on a given system will have water at that same level, isn’t that cool!

So yes, insulate them to the water level in their tanks.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, F&E is highest, not dripping or signs of...
Replies
Views
Bignose
B
OK, but from the boiler it should be Vent then...
Replies
Views
Too much flow through the return needs a...
Replies
Views
This was indeed the case, picked up a new zone...
Replies
Views
Back